Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a 2005 st about a month ago cheap, figured it was a good deal and if I needed parts I could pull them off my 03 zx5 2.3

I took off the wheels today and noticed more rust that I previously thought. I was going to replace the front and rear springs/shocks, But aside from the rear shocks, the bolts were rusted to the point they were frozen in place. I ditched the effort thinking they would break. The rotors were equally nasty. My question is, would it make sense to replace the front knuckles, bolts, and rotors in front, and replace the rotors/ bolts in back once they brake from installing the suspension? or should I try and swap the parts from my old focus, to the new one? I figured I could swap them now, and find replacements for the other car later ( it's an non-op, so it's not on the road), But I thought the knuckles were different on the prior to 05 focus. Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew here.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
'05 knuckles are different, they fit the later(larger) brakes & ball joint while using '00-'05 struts.

The rest of the country is used to rust, your ST must have spent time near the ocean.

Just what is rusty is the question, knuckle bolt to swap struts usually takes some penetrant & wiggling to get loose anywhere but CA. Discs can get rusty anywhere, your earlier ones won't work on the ST.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'05 knuckles are different, they fit the later(larger) brakes & ball joint while using '00-'05 struts.

The rest of the country is used to rust, your ST must have spent time near the ocean.

Just what is rusty is the question, knuckle bolt to swap struts usually takes some penetrant & wiggling to get loose anywhere but CA. Discs can get rusty anywhere, your earlier ones won't work on the ST.
I purchased the car from new jersey, flew over and picked up the car and drove it back. I think prior to new jersey it was in new york. Only the last month it's been in southern california.

The knuckle bolt is rusty, it had penetrating fluid applied for a few hours and still nothing. I should also add this was with a ratchet/breakerbar/impact gun on a battery pack. Not using air tools.

The rotors around the rotor itself is rusting, pieces seem to be flaking and falling off. Nothing on the actual surface of the rotor.

The lower a arms needed to drop the rear springs out were rusted as well so I couldnt get the springs out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
As long as the face of the rotor is smooth you'll be OK with them, flaking off other parts isn't unusual.

It took spraying penetrant from underneath in the crack of the knuckle, hammer & twist on the bolt - wait a week & try again to get mine loose. I was ready to buy replacements figuring they'd end up broken.

Rear suspension - don't try to get apart. Only possible with a sawzall & parts replacement.

You can pry out (carefully!) the rear spring once you unhook the shock & lever the suspension as low as it will go. Spring compressor helps with getting the new one in. I managed with cheap external ones from Harbor Freight - wouldn't recommend as it was a pain. Internal type compressor for the rear is best. Depending on the drop of replacement springs installed it might be possible without, SVT ones needed some compression even with the suspension dropped as far as I could pry it with the shock removed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try and get some photos in the morning. I was just afraid of snapping the bolts as the local dealership just closed the parts department. And I had never experienced it prior with my zx5 obviously with it not being around salt and snow. I should add the bolts that were able to be taken out, at the bottom the of rear shocks, were rusted through, and had taken a few of the threads off where the middle of the bolts looked solid.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure if I lived and SoCal and someone paid me to take a car from the Northeast I would. [grinking]
I needed a daily, I drive about 20,000 miles a year, and found 1 for under 100,000 and under $2000. Was a nice cross country drive to get it back home, and checked out ok minus the rust. I'll be taking off what I can from a zx5 I have that's non-oped, but at this point the rust is getting the best of me.

From now on I think I'll stay away from another future purchase like that again.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Yup, rust is the nature of the beast around here. Drives us all crazy

·
Registered
521 Posts
I lived in New York and now Pennsylvania, and I have a 2005. We tolerate a lot of rust around here, and your suspension, while shocking to you, would probably not faze an east coast resident. Flaking is normal.

I would definitely avoid another rust belt purchase. Around here, people look for cars from southern and western states.

Toby

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Sorry if i'm a weee-bit off topic here BC_ST...

For any future car shoppers willing to fly or travel to find a non-rusted car; consider Phoenix AZ. Most cars here, if they have always been here in the Phx Valley, usually have very very little rust. One of the many/few benefits of living here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
try applying heat to the bolts. get a torch and get that sucker red hot and hit it a couple times with a hammer. the heat expands the metal and banging it will help break the rust and hopefully free the bolt.

im not 100% certain but dont use WD40 as a lubricant if you heat it up...i believe its combustable...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts