Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the engine need to be dropped? what all needs to be done or removed to get this blasted thing out...[bash] The car is in the garage on jackstands now so any help would be greatly appriciated[duh].. Ive never replaced the clutch on anythign like this before..

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bump

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
the engine does not need to be dropped.

Make sure u support it with an engine hoist

·
Registered
342 Posts
no you dont have to drop it. but like the post above says make sure you support the motor.i think there are 13 bolts and 2 or 3 are shorter so make sure you know where they go and when installing it thats a good time to clean that ground cable to the trans.

·
Banned
621 Posts
Here's how I did it and I didnt remove the subframe. I made myself an engine hoist out of 2x4's and some eyebolts and chain links. Instruction to make this are on Focaljet. Works awesome
-Put car on jackstands

-Remove Intake system

-Battery, and Bracket

-Remove header and cat/flex

-Remove struts from spindle's

-Support the engine with the hoist, and remove driver side engine mount and tranny mount

-Remove starter its 3 bolts, the book says to remove the Intake Mani in order to remove starter, but you dont have to. I did the first time I dropped the tranny and its an extra 1 1/2hr of work.

-Pry out the Passenger side axle from the inside of the tranny pops out easily and secure it, you dont have to remove the whole axle, like the book says its also just a waste of time.

-Grab a flathead screwdriver and stick it inside the tranny to pop the driver side axle out, if that doesnt work, use a pry bar between the tranny and axle where they meet and pop it out.

-Now your ready to remove tranny, loosen the 15 bolts on the tranny and lower the engine with the hoist, now get a friend or just use some stacked 2x4 to drop the tranny down.

-pull it out and clean it out with brake cleaner, install your new Throw out bearing

- now remove the old clutch setup, the tricky part is finding something to hold the flywheel while you remove the bolts on it.
I used a long screwdriver with a 90 degree bend on the tip and stuck it between the flywheel teeth and held it with one hand while I broke the bolts loose. Now your done.
Install is the reverse, Good luck , hopefully this helps you a bit.

BTW it took me 7hrs the first time and 5hrs the second time it did this.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I'm about to take this project on myself, but I will also be installing a new flywheel. Does the motor need to be pulled for that?

·
Registered
362 Posts
It really sounds like you really should take the car somewhere to get something like this done. Or spend the money and get a factory service manual and some friends.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if the tranny is out of the way, you dont need to pull the motor to remove the fly wheel. just zip the bolts out, and put the new flywheel back on.

make sure the bolt holes are lined up and go for gold.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have fun with this my clutch just went out and it cost me 700 in labor(i gotta boned on that deal) they were trying to charge me 935 for an oem clutch i got a luk for 435.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
yea, well I'm assuming the shop has their hourly labor cost posted, and probably referred to the book and said it was a 7 hour job... I'm either doing it myself or having my neighbor do it, he's certified and a whiz with just about everything... just gotta decide if i really want get into this or not, sometimes its just worth paying. I've done a clutch on 2 of my previous trucks, but it's going to be more involved on this job.

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
Thanks for the write up. this will come in handy when it comes time for my stocker to go out on me even thought Ive replaced other clutches before and it seems like pretty much the same except in hondas you can let the engine hang by the passenger side motor mount haha!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Successfully replaced the clutch this past weekend. No engine hoist and didn't take the half-shafts off. It's a little tight, but it can be done. I took a couple of pictures in case someone needs assistance. Just let me know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Please tell me I dont have to take the starter off. Its behind the blower an I dont want to take that off again. This is going to be along weekend if this is the case. I have it up on jackstands already just waiting for the parts to come so I can rip it apart.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts