Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Need help please

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  hEaT 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 focus SE with the zetec 2.0L dual overhead cam engine. Whenever I'm getting into it or trying to get up to cruising speed (50mph+) the hose that goes from the valve cover into the air breather Box will blow out of the breather Box side and disconnect itself. The car does not want to run at idle I have to have my foot on the gas to keep it going or whenever I'm at a light or stopped. The brake pedal is extremely stiff unless I'm revving the car over 2 grand and then it softens up and I'm having some kinda gas or exhaust fumes in the cabin when I turn my heater on and am going below 30mph.

I've replaced the PCV valve, PCV hose, and all the vacuum lines I could find or identify using ford vacuum line diagram. (When I bought car it had no vacuum lines and a split open pcv valve hose). I have ordered a new EGR valve delete plate, header and IAC valve.

Can anyone help me with troubleshooting the above mentioned issues? Please and thank you for taking time to read and/or reply. Car is currently immobile so I can't scan codes to see what issue is although when using the dash menu the option thats supposed to show the engine codes being thrown says none even tho lights on. I thought a clogged catalytic converter and bad IAC valve so that's why I ordered those plus I got them cheap af stainless header and cat delete pipe was only 150, cat back exhaust was only 130, delete plate was 20 and the IAC was 30. Car has 160k miles.

I've ran on new vacuum lines and hose clamps on on the engine following the vacuum hose diagram from Ford. I checked again and they aren't cracked, broke or have any loose clamps. Could there be another issue with vacuum system I'm not aware of to check for or wasn't aware of to address when I replaced said lines? The only hose that isn't new is the one that goes from the valve cover to the breather Box. What are the different possible issues that I could be facing with those symptoms so I could start going through and marking them off list? If you need anymore info or anything for troubleshooting or diagnosis just ask I can do my best to give as much possible info as I can. I am a single parent with 3 boys (3 year old and twin 5 year olds) and this is our only means of transportation and funds are tight so I have to try to get it figured out or at least drivable with no gas/exhaust fumes in car giving headaches, watery eyes, burning nose or dizziness so they aren't in danger and therefore no possibility of harm. Again any time spent helping is most definitely greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

See less See more
#4 ·
Can you get someone to read the engine codes with a scan tool? You can keep throwing parts at it and guessing, but the CEL should give you more direct insight into what is actually wrong.

From what you describe, you have a huge vacuum leak somewhere (no brake pedal pressure, not running without giving it pedal).

I would read codes and continue looking for the vacuum leak (or more broadly, leak post MAF).

The breather hose blowing out won't affect the engine running since it plumbs back in before the MAF, but it shouldn't be blowing out which sounds like excessive blow by to me. Can you have someone run a compression and leak down test?

#5 ·
If I've ran all new lines, have no audible leak and all the lines are secured with new untracked or broken lines how else could I have a vacuum leak? Or where else could I have one. No unfortunately I live in a new town and know no one so I'm kinda isolated from outside help. If there was a high amount of blow by wouldn't it disconnect from the valve cover when there's no clamp and comes off alot easier the I'd think the other would since it's clipped in?

#6 ·
If the check engine light is on you need to get it scanned for codes. O'Reilly's and Autozone will do it for free. As far as the vacuum leak, intake manifold could be cracked, brake booster bad, melted hose at the egr valve, etc. Hard to troubleshoot over the internet. You can smoke test with 4 or 5 good puffs of a cigar blown into the intake manifold through a vacuum hose. Best done in the dark using a flashlight.

#8 ·
With the engine running if you put your hand over the end of the breather hose where it blows off the air box do you feel pressure or vacuum?

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.