Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in to have the head gasket checked out. Thought it might be leaking into cyl 3. The shop ran it, ran great when warm. The shop said they could not get it to start the next day. I tried to start it and it let out a huge bang under the hood. It blew the intake maifold off the car and cracked it. Any ideas on what would cause this?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've only seen this happen on a Taurus. There was an issue with the ECU where it couldn't figure out where cylider 1 was and starting firing randomly. It fired the spark plug when the value was open and backfired blowing the plastic intake to pieces. I'm guessing something similar happened. For what ever reason, there was a spark when the intake valve was open and it ignited what was in the cylinder and the intake. That is about the only way that you could blow the intake off. I would check the codes to see if there is any cam or crank sensor codes.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Someone has posted this same thing before. Try a search. I think Tom has talked about this happening before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts