Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2012 focus in June 2011. About a month later took it to dealer about shutter at take off. They gave me a notice from Ford that it was normal. I suffered with it until 2013 when they reflashed the TCM/PCM. It was better for a little while but returned. Then in Oct.2014 they sent a letter to replace clutch and seals and they reflashed TCM/PCM. Had work done and shutter was gone but started getting P0420 and P07A3 codes. Dealer charged me $114 to diagnose a bad TCM. Told them I didn't have this problem prior to them working on it. They gave me a quote to replace TCM for $1021. I told them I would call Ford Corp. Ford said they couldn't help. I notice that the S wouldn't light when code appeared. I would restart and as long as S was light it would shift fine. I told the service manager this. When I had some extra $ I took to dealer for TCM. I left key in envelope with instructions to replace TCM per diagnostic and left copy of receipt on steering wheel. I called service manager to let him know in morning. He called me back and said his tech took car for test drive and the clutch burned up. WTF. I needed TCM not test drive/joy ride. Now they want me to pay $2200. What recourse do I have?[rant]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to better MkIII section where you can find more info. & help.

Meagan, the Ford rep. who checks in here may be of some assistance, you can PM her if she doesn't happen to see this tomorow.

TCM is covered through 80,000 mi. under the emissions warranty & the clutches through 100,000, IIRC the year restrictions shouldn't have run out yet on either for a '12.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info, but I was already past 100k when they replaced clutch and seals in Oct. It's after that when everything went to hell. I know a co worker who had his TCM go out and the same dealer charged him $1600 W/ a battery and he only had 60k on his car. They said nothing of emission warranty on TCM. I think I'm just dealing with an unscrupulous dealer. I will let my co-worker know, so maybe he can recoup some $. As for me, I believe the dealer should have pulled my car into garage and changed the PCM. I drove it there from 7 miles away and had no shifting issues. The clutch was only 2 months old. They already diagnosed a faulty TCM. Were they negligent when the Tech took my car for road test and smoked the clutch?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First time I've heard of something like that happening.

With 2 mo. on the warrantied clutch there may be something the Ford folks can do to help out with that, it's worth a try.

Certainly worth more discussion with the Dealer as well.

If it stopped working properly on a test drive it really should have been towed back in before any more damage was done IMHO, can't guess as to the actual cause as there are multiple possibilities. (TCM & clutch pack aren't the only items in the system)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They said they had to tow it back to shop after "road test". They called me and said clutch was bad even before they pulled into shop. I never had any shifting problems as long as Select gear was light up after they reflashed and clutch replacement. I told them problem was intermittent prior to bringing it to them. If I started car and S didn't light, I would restart until S light came on and car would shift normally. I knew it was TCM problem after having to do this a couple times and took to dealer. The clutch shifted fine as long as S was lit. After I delivered the car I can't say what they did or what happened.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Now it sounds like they're guessing, and ready to charge for both jobs needed or not.

Pasta's suggestion might be a good idea if possible, TCM could be the whole issue. Doesn't sound like they've done ANY testing to confirm the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts