Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know were to put the sender. I have a autometer water temp. gauge. Please help.[???:)]

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it and a oil pressure guage from summit. Am i going to have to drain all my coolant out?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ATM-5737 (water temp.)
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ATM-5727 (oil pressure)

One more thing about the oil pressure guage both are from the phantom series and are electric and i was wondering if i could put the oil sender inplace of the low oil pressure light switch and just pull the bulb out of my cluster or will that effect the way my engine will run. I did a serch and found a guy that put his behind his starter somthing about a plug. Plus the low oil pressure light switch is so much easer to get to it is to the left of the oil filter if you are looking at the back of the motor But wouldn't you have to tap it all that? I have never installed gauges before on anything and any help would be thankful.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
you cannont disable the factory pressure sender, your car will stop running if the ecu thinks there is low pressure. Some have put in a tee there and run both senders off one port. That's quite a few fittings and more room for leaks. I suggest the gold plug behind the starter as well. As for the water temp, I used the adapter to pipe thread and drilled a hole (the right size according to which fitting you use) and tapped it out on top of the thermostat housing. there's a round boss on top just beggin for a sending unit. Works great there, only thing is, the housing is plastic so you'll have to run a second wire from the threaded portion of the sender to ground or it'll try to find ground thru the water to the nearest metal point which is the head. It works sporadically that way and also causes massive electrolysis in the a/f and makes a big mess in there. That's the easiest point i've found so far for water temp. no matter where you tap in, youll probably lose a good portion of your fluid so it's a good time to go ahead and flush/refill it anyways. hope this helps, post up if you have more questions.

g

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I was hoping to not have to drill and tap that makes me kinda un easy. So i will have to tap the hole for the oil sender behind the starter or is it a screw plug?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
no, the hole is pipe threaded already, you just pull out the plug, find the apropriate adapter to fit the hole (comes with autometer gauges) and see if it'll fit in next to the starter. I did one for a friend of mine, his fit, mine did not, so i just got a 45 degree elbow and screwed it into the hole so it pointed towards the passenger side then screwed the sender into that. use teflon tape on ALL pipe threaded fittings.

the drilling and tapping was on the plastic thermostat housing. its not hard if you know what size fitting you need I can get you the apropriate drill size. That's the only place I've put one so far, it reads true coolant temp not head temp like it would if you screwed into the head. I've seen somewhere, a fitting you put in your radiator hose, you just cut it and put this piece in there like a piece of pipe with a small female pipe hole in the top, just for screwing in a sender, but i couldnt find them when i was doing mine. u might look into that, it's much easier to cut a hose and add a couple hose clamps.

g

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would i have to us a tap on the plastic or can i just use the fitting to start the threads. Please if you can i would like to have the bit size, and again thanks alout for the help.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to have to get a elbow to. Is this somthing a auto parts store would have?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
you should tap the plastic. if you dont want to, your best bet would be to get the fitting that goes in the hose. The drill size depends on which tap size you're gonna use.

yes, a 45 degree pipe elbow is available at any lowes, home depot, hardware store in the plumbing section. they have them in grey metal or in brass. either will work. the fitting you need is a male pipe on one end and a female pipe on the other end. take the gold plug out and take it with you if you're confused but there are very few sizes of pipe plug.

g

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
mine oil pressure is in the tap behind the starter yes, but my water temp is in my thermo housing. I'd have bought the hose tap if i could have found one at the time. Greddy makes one, ac autotechniques makes one.... hmm seems like i saw one in jegs too. Easiest way out would be to find a piece of pipe that fits inside the hose, drill and tap a pipe hole in it and splice it into the hose with clamps. Coming out of the block will give you a better engine water temp than going in from the radiator. This guy seemed nervous about tapping holes so i suggested the hose method. If ppl are interested, i'll fab up a few on the weekend and mail em out for cost and shipping. I just need to know what size pipethread you want to end up with.

g

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The upper radiator hose is close to 1-1/4" inside diameter, I think its 30mm actually. The hose goes from big to small so I think its possible you could use either actually. I'm putting on a new thermo housing again, and I"m not gonna drill it, so I need an adapter too. If I can make one work I'll post up what i use

g

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
this is the piece that the water temperature sending unit will install into. $36.64 thats including shipping from summitracing.com. this will complete my gauge installation <for now>

i trimmed the smaller nipples off

this is the piece spliced into the upper radiator hose going into the thermostat housing.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Final Product

while i was at it, i flushed the coolant system. havent road tested it yet, tomorrow will be good for that.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
the wire on the side of the sender housing is the ground, and then the wire from the sender of course goes to your electric gauge

·
Registered
242 Posts
this is the piece that the water temperature sending unit will install into. $36.64 thats including shipping from summitracing.com. this will complete my gauge installation <for now>

this is the piece spliced into the upper radiator hose going into the thermostat housing.

I think the charge has now gone up, somewhere around $45 shipped. It's a little steep but worth not hassling looking for a spot to put the sending unit.

Thanks for the insight, most appreciated! [wrenchin]

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts

that is the exact kit i used

if youre thinking about tapping into the thermostat housing DONT DO IT

i tried, and it leaked like a sob, and i had to go and get a new housing... wasnt cheap either, like 50 or so bucks from the dealer

·
Registered
629 Posts

okay what kind of reading are you getting for the temp? this is the same spot that i put my water temp sender at and my reading does not get over 120.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts