Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, iam doing my transmission oil change, and i just wanted to know if the car was leveled if i had the car on leveled ground or do i actually have to level the frame of the car on level ground since the focus is a little lifted up on the back? And if i have to level the car its self (Frame) how to know or what to use to know if the car is truly leveled? (only have a floor jack). my other question is how often would i have to change me oil if i am using full synthetic on 107k miles zetec engine focus ( i don't have the owners manual) Thanks again!

·
Registered
73 Posts
[welcome]No you wont have to level the frame. Do you have jack stands? If not you should invest in some because lifting a car with only a floor jack is dangerous. If you search the forums here there is a tutorial somewhere on changing your transmission fluid im just not sure how to re-post a link to it.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
To safely jack up a vehicle in order to work under it, you need a hydraulic jack with a large head- 3.5" to 4", 2 short jack stands rated at least 2 ton, and wheel chocks. There are pads for putting jack stands just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels. Don't put the jack stand on the edge of the pads. The pads I'm referring to look like a frame- squared off section of body protruding from the rest of the body, and is about 2" wide. To jack up the car you need to have the floor jack slid under there far enough to hook the back side of the cross member in the front. It is not easy to do because of limited space, and if the car is lowered- then you'll need a scissor jack properly used on the pinch weld to slightly lift the car so you can get the floor jack under there. Once the front of the vehicle is jacked up, install the jack stands, lower the vehicle slowly until the jack stands are supporting the load. Check as you apply the load to the jack stands to be sure that these are holding the load without tilting or sliding. If you are jacking the vehicle on dirt- put thick plywood pads under the jack stands, and always wait a few minutes before getting under the car to see if there will be any sinking. Now put your wheel chocks front and back of one of the other tires to prevent movement in any direction.

Never jack up a vehicle on an incline.
Always double check everything.
If you can't push on the car without it falling, then you shouldn't get under the car.
Do not be this guy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
^^ That was me look at that truck aint she a beaut?

hahahaha i changed a transmission once using a fork lift lmao.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Oh as far as changing the oil using fully synthetic- those oils can go up to 10k miles without losing viscosity as long as the engine is not overheated during this time. I change mine about every 5k miles. I have 130k. No strange engine sounds yet. Sometimes if the oil is not really dirty, and I haven't lost any- all engines use a little oil- then I'll go past 5k. On vehicles that don't get driven often- like my wife's van that barely has 5k put on it in a year, I change the oil when it's dirty regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i use the semi synthetic blend its been changed in the car at the dealer since new every 3k

1 - 6 of 6 Posts