Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked with obd II scaner getting codes p087a & p087b clutch position sensor b circuit, p0011 intake A cam position timing over advanced bank 1, p0016 crankshaft position bank 1 sensor A, p0017 crankshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor B,p052a cold start intake A camshaft position timing over advanced bank 1,p0300 random misfire,p0301 misfire cylinder 1. Car is 2013 focus it dose run but idles vary low if at all when gas pedal is pushed it will suptter drop rpms and sometimes die it is not drivable. I just trying to narrow things down so I don't replace things I don't need to crankshaft position sensor,camshaft position sensors,plugs,coil packs? So Many places help where do I start

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Eh... at a guess, all these problems are related, and your problem is in the wiring harness. It's highly unlikely that all these parts would fail at the same time, and I'm assuming that you haven't been driving around in a car that could still be under warranty with a CEL. I bet if you locate all those parts, follow the wiring down, you'll find that all of them go into the same wire loom at some point. look for damage under the harness where it isn't easily seen. I haven't worked on one of these, but hopefully Ford put harness connectors under the hood. This would be a big plug, or a series of medium and small sized plugs that allow someone to disconnect the wiring harness (that goes to the ECU) from the engine harness. Those connectors can have bad seals, or someone forgot to put grease on the connections at the factory. Water gets in there, and you have a whole lot of stuff going bad at one time that makes no sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked plugs at cam sensors getting good voltage there and at crank sensors so if I'm getting power ?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Disclaimer - We've got zero experience with home repair questions on these, yours is the first such question I've seen since one about trying to get a flood damaged one running again. (that didn't go far as the engine was OK but the TCM that had been underwater wasn't cooperating)

Cam sensors on other versions are all at the Driver's side end of the engine, toward the trans.. VCT control solenoids that would likely get power are to the timing chain (prev. belt) end near to the VCT end of the cams.

Except for the clutch position codes, all seem to relate to the intake cam position. Unless it's actually not responding, that might indicate a sensor problem for that cam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for advice I was told by a pretty decent mechanic that it could be the maf sensor but I'm not getting any maf codes, he told me he just had a similar situation and changed out cam & crank sensors & still got codes for them ended up there was a split in the hose coming from maf replaced hose and was good don't know if it's B.S or not is there a way to test the maf I know you can clean them but is there way to tell if it's just garbage or just needs a cleaning.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Beyond cleaning, you couls only 'check' for major MAF problems with a scan tool to see if air flow numbers seem reasonable & respond to engine rpm.

Not running right can result in "codes" not directly related to the problem, which is why some interpretation is needed.

I'm doing that when lumping the cam & crank position codes together, as they're all reporting a mismatch in position reports. The misfire is being interpreted as a result of other problems as that's a MUCH more likely interpretation than assuming it's a cause.

Whynot's original electrical issue comment is important as well, any electrical problem can cause communication errors with the computer modules that can result in problems well removed from the initial cause in some cases. For example, it won't work properly with extremely low system voltage or an intermittent short causing a lot of electrical interference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had p052a CEL code recently on my 2012 Focus, 70,000 miles. Engine was dangerously low on oil. Unsure why. I change oil every 5000 with synthetic blend oil. No evidence of external leakage. I immediately changed the oil. Still had CEL. Luckily, the car started, idled, and ran normally. Since camshaft position sensors are easily accessible, I removed and cleaned them. Still had CEL. To access VCT solenoids, you must remove cam cover. They are on left side of engine, next to first spark plug. I ordered cam cover gasket kit. I removed solenoids and cleaned screen portion with brake cleaner and compressed air. Reassembled. Drove car for about 15 miles. CEL still on. Pulled over and did reset; put key in on position just short of ignition. Held gas and brake pedals to floor. Wait for “reset complete”. Once done, my CEL went off. I hope it stays off....

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
First hope car is fixed after 4 yrs. Second if you have a problem with your car a new thread will get more views.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts