Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need instructions or diagram because the manufacture says only qualified dealers can install them for a large amount of money. The CA. DMV told me that my wife (who is paraplegic, and learning to drive) only needs to show an ability to operate the vehicle safely. Does anybody have them installed in there focus or have web link that can help me install them on my 2001 Ford Focus se wagon[hatchet]

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Rudely is doing the conversion right now. Drop him a pm.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Rudely is doing the conversion right now. Drop him a pm.
Posted via FF Mobile
That's screen name Rudel, and his name is Mike. Here's his public profile page http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/member.php?u=13465

To send him a message through FF, you'll have to go to your User Control Panel by clicking the User CP link at the top left of the blue banner above, and then look for Private Messages on the left side of the screen. I'm not sure if Mike answers his User Messages or not, sort of like an instant messaging system that you'll see when you go to his profile on the link above.

Best of luck to you! This is a rare item to find information on, and I don't suppose it comes with directions.

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
Hi Indokee, I saw your PM 3 times...[giddy] My day is filled up with therapy though, so give me a chance to read the first one.

I can't answer your question, because I'm still waiting on the V.A. to do my evaluation for driving controls.

But there is someone else that could possibly help better than me since he has controls already installed. I don't know the brand, and I forgot his user name....uuuuuhg [facepalm] I'll search now....

Have you contacted the company that makes your controls? Perhaps find a company that specializes in installing handicap controls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok sorry for so many messages I didn't know if they went threw or not. I'll be patient if you get anymore info. Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rudel I sent those guys a message hopefully I will get some info you have been alot of help. My wife is so excited to be driving one day and finally she can chauffeur me around.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I need to see some pictures of your controls. I had 2 sets one set i paid for and had installed the the whole person just after i left the hospital.

The second set was paid for when i bought the car they paid up to $500. if i bought the car from them so i did that.

All i can really do is take some pictures of how we installed mine. Its alot of trial and error IMO

Has she ever driven with hand controls before? I drove 3 different cars with them installed one car i drove for about 18 years.

Are you good with mechanical stuff? The hand controls work kinda weird IMO. You need to study how they function and how it works because you will adjust it alot. Took me a month of using it adjusting back and forth to get it comfortable.

Since i had 2 sets i used parts from both hand controls. One set was installed into a 1989 econo van so they were really long. The second set was in a 1990 dodge daytona and they were short.

All the bolts and rods are cut to length and once they are cut you are limited after that on adjustments.

I had to remove the bottom of the dash and the plate around the steering wheel. I havnt been pulled over yet, but ive often wondered if i was what a cop would think. It kinda looks hot wired, everything is exposed like a stolen car might be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts