Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought one off a member here

I took a peek at it and my car; my car seems to have two hoses that go into the rubber joint of my intake at the throttle body
The CAI only has one nozzle for the hose with a capped hole and a hole at the bottom.
What is the hole on the bottom for? What do I do with the 2nd hose?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
On my '07, only the top most hose is connected, the other two are capped/plugged.

If you call up FSsport they should be able to send you a set of the the plugs/caps. I cracked the cap that would have went over the hole in the bottom of you picture. They sent me a little baggy of the three, these are the left overs. The plug is what would plug the center hole and im not sure what the other would be used for .

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
On your factory Intake, The top hose will go on the BOTTOM part of the FS CAI, and the Factory side hose will go on the same location on the FS CAI. Hope this helps. The radiator side of the FS CAI will be capped off.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erm which one is the top one..
The one on towards the front of the car or the windshield of the car?
How does this one plug into the bottom? it's just a hole

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
If you want to plug the hole as FSW intended call them up, see if they will send you it. In my picture (crappy i know) it would be the thing on the right. It's a plug that gets wedged into the hole.

or just pm me your addy and ill drop it in the mail for you

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Erm which one is the top one..
The one on towards the front of the car or the windshield of the car?

Towards front of car... Illl shot a pic here in a sec...

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so confusing.. lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm wondering about this as well because I'm planning on purchasing a CAI from FS Werks (as I've been hearing they make one of the best) when I get my taxes back.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Sorry for the long wait.. if you haven't figured it out, here is the layout:

The hose connecting to the side of the CAI (firewall side) is the Valve cover breather:

The bottom hose on the CAI is for the vacuum line.

The Side port (radiator support) is capped off with this:

Hope this helps

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is under the hood on the '10 the same as the '08? I know they have the same body style (even though mine is the coupe). I know I probably sound stupid w/ all this once I start working on my Focus it'll be the first car I've worked on that I was doing stuff under the hood. I've helped friends install full sound systems (speakers, amps, subs, wiring, etc) and with installing interior stuff like, seats but never anything under the hood or with the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yes they are all the same UNLESS you have the PZEV model. Then the stock intake is different and they have THREE o2 sensors to the Non-PZEV models' TWO o2 sensors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Hutch, I don't plan on doing anything to my car really until tax time of next year because then I'll get the nice big 4-5k cash refund that I can't wait for. But with everything that I'm reading the two mods I'll be doing myself (or maybe with the help from someone in the area) are CAI and FS Stealth exhaust. Which aren't really BIG mods.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes they are all the same UNLESS you have the PZEV model. Then the stock intake is different and they have THREE o2 sensors to the Non-PZEV models' TWO o2 sensors.
I have a PZEV but I'm only doing the intake so no worries about O2 sensors right?
Goddamn green state nazi emissions crap

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it installed!
I like it so far. It sounds stock at idle, idle and revving, normal driving, but if I mash on the pedal it sounds completely different!
MPG as far as I can tell right now went down the tubes in the city but driving smoothly and calmly on the highway seems to have yielded better MPGs
I dunno I'll check on my next tank of gas

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep went through my first tank of gas and the results are in.
With a mix of about 50% city and 50% highway. my mpg was 24.5, one of the lowest ever.
I disconnected my battery for a bit and reconnected it so the ECU could relearn stuff so maybe that contributed?

But after I filled up in Quincy, MA I drove down to Warwick, RI and after a steady drive averaging about 60-70mph or so I filled up again just to see what my mostly 95% highway was like.
Surprise! Car took in 1.213 gallons and calculated out to be 45.3mpg
I definitely gained then. I have not gotten over 33-35 since put on the 17" wheels even if I tried.

Wish I could stop lead footing in the city though.. its just so fun..

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good job on the install Ray. Sucks about the loss of mpg's, but that's expected when the car becomes more fun to press the GO pedal [:)]

I'm pretty sure that I lost some mpg's after removing the resonator-thingy off the stock airbox, and with it removed I notice some strange behavior when trying to maintain certain speeds or lightly on the gas at certain speeds, almost like there's odd turbulence in the airbaox, confusing the maf sensor.

I actually plan on eventually re-installing it, and just leaving the K&N filter in there.

Maybe with the K&N and the thing removed there's too much airflow at certain rpm's ? Not sure, but don't really like it.

I do like the growling noise when really giving it gas though ... lol

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
. I have not gotten over 33-35 since put on the 17" wheels even if I tried.

Wish I could stop lead footing in the city though.. its just so fun..
Same for me, the 17's hurt the mpg but even worse since I mostly do city driving during the week. Lots of stop lights and mostly 45mpg speed limits kill my mpg. I have a short commute so I wont complain about the lower mpg's as I dont have to fill up often.

It's hard to keep the heavy foot off when I get off work and want to unwind some [driving] I'm a fan of the CAI too, its a nice little add on.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
just so you know there is a bolt that attaches to the lower bracket where your stock intake was. in your picture you dont have that so if you havent put it there the intake will move. also you can get the hardware set from fswerks for 5 bucks i think. i had to do the same cause i bought mine second hand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts