Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 02 SVT Focus about 10 months ago, I love the car. On my way home from work on friday evening, I started to hear a really loud grinding noise in the rear right of the car. I stopped and gave it a visual inspection, but it was dark. I decided to keep driving until I could got home and inspected it in daylight. Drove off and came to red light, hit my brakes and my pedal went mushy. I managed to drive home using the E-brake and downshifting. Later on the next day I found this problem, please help me identify the broken part.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You should be able to call ford, and describe the location and function of the part or go there and look at the drawing on the computer to identify the part.....

I have to ask, I've jumped my car and all that came of it was a broken oil pan...... How in the [:)][:)][:)][:)] did you break that?

Welcome to FF.com!

Mouse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a few railroad tracks on the way to work, nothing extreme at all. I'm confused as well because this is supposed to be a very durable part.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That part must have been forged from weak iron or something. I have never seen that piece break like that especially just from railroad tracks. I have seen it bend, but nothing even close to breaking.

Sorry to hear of your loss and welcome to FF! [welcome] [ffrocks]

·
Registered
268 Posts
According to the workshop manual it is called a tie-bar and knuckle. PM mike at Hibilsh ford and tell him it is the part that the spindles mount to and he should be able to help you out.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
[80?] [80?]

Glad you're OK, man, I'd never expect a rear trailing arm to break like that!!!!

I'd recommend replacing both. I'd also recommend taking a close inspection of your rear lower control arms where the swaybar mounts.

Hopefully it was just caused by embedded flaw in the material.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts