Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Wanted to make known an issue I am having with my dealer and Ford Services who does not want to step in and help resolve the issue. Looking for help is how to escalate and get the issue resolved.

Basically bought a new focus titanium 5 speed with handling package and requested to change tires to all seasons from summers to drive in winter as part of purchase agreement. They changed it with wrong size tires and the speed and odo do not read the proper readings and read a value lower than what I am going and only found this out by getting pulled over by police. Brought up the issue to dealer and later Ford Services when issue wasn't getting resolved and basically Ford Service is saying it is not they issue and to deal with the Dealer. This issue has been open with dealer for almost 3 weeks going to 4.

Need some help in how to get this resolved, and who to contact, because both dealer and Ford Services arent taking any action.

Full story here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154655734195207&set=o.22166130048&type=1

as well as picture showing the details in the difference the tire dealer put on truly is.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi All,

Wanted to make known an issue I am having with my dealer and Ford Services who does not want to step in and help resolve the issue. Looking for help is how to escalate and get the issue resolved.

Basically bought a new focus titanium 5 speed with handling package and requested to change tires to all seasons from summers to drive in winter as part of purchase agreement. They changed it with wrong size tires and the speed and odo do not read the proper readings and read a value lower than what I am going and only found this out by getting pulled over by police. Brought up the issue to dealer and later Ford Services when issue wasn't getting resolved and basically Ford Service is saying it is not they issue and to deal with the Dealer. This issue has been open with dealer for almost 3 weeks going to 4.

Need some help in how to get this resolved, and who to contact, because both dealer and Ford Services arent taking any action.

Full story here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154655734195207&set=o.22166130048&type=1

as well as picture showing the details in the difference the tire dealer put on truly is.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, MR.Sarge. I researched this and see that your case regarding this issue has been closed under the advisement to continue working with your contacts in the Sales and Service departments of your local dealership. I am unable to overturn that decision, and also encourage you to work with your dealer in order to reach the best resolution possible.

I also see that your case was escalated through my colleague Kwasi over on Facebook; if you have any further questions, you're free to reach out to him as well.

Brittany

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, MR.Sarge. I researched this and see that your case regarding this issue has been closed under the advisement to continue working with your contacts in the Sales and Service departments of your local dealership. I am unable to overturn that decision, and also encourage you to work with your dealer in order to reach the best resolution possible.

I also see that your case was escalated through my colleague Kwasi over on Facebook; if you have any further questions, you're free to reach out to him as well.

Brittany
Thanks for replying Brittany, but how can I work with the dealer's sales and service team when they never return my calls or messages and I have to consistently go to dealer in person JUST to speak with someone and get no where?

Every attempt I make has never been returned by the dealer unless I go in person and even then, they do not take any initiative in resolving the issue which they have seen firsthand?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The issue is a tire the DEALER sold you, or traded to you.. Ford really has NOTHING to do with it.
What I sugggest is buy some tires that fit properly.
Clearly the dealer just tossed on some tires they had around.. Or they ordered the wrong size, mounted them anyway, and did not notice, and after you used them came back. (Once you used them the tires became worthless to the dealer in a restock etc. they would lose money to trade them. I guess you are not worth it to them?. Apparently you only realized they were wrong when you got a speeding ticket.
(PS did you get it thrown out as you were innocent about the wrong tires?)
Anway if you bother to remember the differences, you can drive on the tires. They are not a 'safety hazard'.
at 60 indicated you are going 63.5 So go 62 and you will be going 65.5

indicated 70 you will be going about 75

If you really are angry then your only recourse is to sue the dealer in small claims court for the cost of replacing the tires with the correct size.
Which would be tires, mount and balance. After you actually had the work done yourself and paid out of pocket.

The dealer will claim it was NOT a safety issue, they were sorry but you can compensate for the speedo error.. And you used the tire for a long time with no complaint..
Who knows what the judge would do? Impossible to say.

And I have a question? Do the tires rub at all??? If they DO, then you have a lot more to work against the dealer. If they do not, then IMO you are SOL.

One problem in the op's case is he is caught between the New car area guys, and the service department. the new cars guys gave him the deal, the service department screwed it up. So if those two areas do not have a good workingrelationship then the issue is ALWAYS going to be stalled.
I suggest the op call the New car general manager. Explain the issue is going to be taken to small claims court, and does he think he would rather settle it beforehand?

Generally the money for fixing the 'problem' would have to come from somewhere. the salesman may think it is his pocket, the service guy thinks his pocket.. So nothing gets done as they can stall you and ignore you and it costs nothing.

Added after I read your facebook page: So you really did not go back to the dealer and raise Hell? Like I wrote, call and ask to speak to the New car General manager. tell him you plan on suing if they do not fix you wrong tire problem, and you will smear them all over Canada for being so indifferent to a big mistake THEY made, and then refuse to do anything about it. remind them a happy customer tells five friends. And angry customer tells THOUSANDS of people about problems. Mention this site.
On the upside they may fix you up with new tires, on the downside they may (but not really likely)trash you car a hundred secret ways you will never know about.
I suggest you cut your losses, go buy new tires and get over it. Or, use the tires, and just remember what the real speedo error is...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Yup

This all comes down to the sales contract and what they specified they were selling you.

You bought a new set of tires from them, with some credit for the ones on the car which were traded in, at the time of the new car purchase.

No different than going down the street with your new car & making a deal to swap for different tires with a tire dealer. If they don't install what you agreed to, you really should have it changed right then. Didn't notice for about a year? Even with a receipt on hand for what was SUPPOSED to be installed you might not get full replacement in Court, since you used them for a year before bringing the problem to their attention.

You can buy whatever you want to & stick it on the car, not Ford's fault you did so. Did you think Ford OWNED the Dealerships? This is like complaining to Ford about a used Chevy you got at a Ford Dealer...

·
Registered
739 Posts
On the bright side you'll be putting less miles on your car. lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've never used the software, but could you change the tire size using the FoCCCus software? If so, that would allow the computer to calculate the correct speed.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi All,

Wait, Ford equips (some) Focuses with summer only tires? Is this what the handling package and 18" wheels provide? Even in Canada? Arizona, Texas, southern California a few other places I could understand.

Still, I imagine there are plenty of 18" all-season tires that can perform darn well as part of a "handling package."

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
MR.Sarge where did you find that tire size calculator?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wait, Ford equips (some) Focuses with summer only tires? Is this what the handling package and 18" wheels provide? Even in Canada? Arizona, Texas, southern California a few other places I could understand.

Still, I imagine there are plenty of 18" all-season tires that can perform darn well as part of a "handling package."
Yes indeed. Not sure about Canada but I'm pretty sure all of the US gets the summer-only Michelins on the handling package. I would have liked the factory 18s but that I think that's a stupid packaging decision for anywhere that gets snow. AFAIK, most other non-sports cars that offer summer tires from the factory (Civic Si, Mini Cooper) at least offer an option for all-seasons.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OK, this is getting silly IMHO.

Offering an OPTIONAL performance summer tire & wheel combo is now Stupid?

Areas that get snow should only be offered cars equipped from the factory to handle Winter?

SO, who gets the cars with Snow Tires as the only factory option? Which states are allowed "all season tires". Where do you have to live for summer tires to be an option?

Fancier wheels/tires are an OPTION that I see many regret choosing (or not even paying attention to) until they need to pay for replacements - or realize they aren't great for all seasons where they live. "But they looked so NICE, I didn't realize they'd be expensive to replace".

"Expensive tires" is the most common complaint I've heard about the earlier model Focus from average owners, and that referred to stock 16" aluminum Wheels/Tires. Didn't get any agreeing to a swap for my 15" wheels though... I hate to think what the owners of MkII's with the optional 17" rims said when faced with a tire bill, maybe that explains why those rims are fairly common on the used market.

Plenty of sporty cars come with summer tires std. or optional, I see no reason to call that a "stupid" decision when selling a sporty vehicle. I always though it silly for a Jeep to have that option chosen, figured I'd see them in the ditch come Winter even if the wide tires did have a minimal "all season" rating & I wasn't wrong.

The OP here says he didn't get what he thought he was being sold, if he was told they were slightly different it didn't register - and I certainly won't argue the point. They aren't the same size as he lists for stock on the car.

Speed ticket as a result? Look at the speed difference chart he posted, with a 4 mph difference at 70 mph. (I need to use US measure, because most here are more familiar with that.) More than 10 over, and exceeding typical traffic speed at the time, is typical for an open road ticket - and that's the only place the speed differential would be that large. Add it up, 11-4=7 so at least 7 over and exceeding typical would be the minimum for an average speeding ticket to be issued. That's assuming the speedo was exactly accurate, many register a couple mph slow to be sure the indicated isn't lower than actual with the std. tires installed. Indicated could easily have been 9 over to get a 11 over reading on the radar, minimal to justify a 10 over ticket. (usually more margin than that, just so it can't be argued)

After most of a year driving on the tires, what deal he can get when it's hammered out in small claims court is hard to guess. Pro-rated refund is the middle of the road estimate, range is from full replacement to nothing.

What I still don't get is the idea that Ford shouldn't have offered that option to begin with. What's the real suggestion? Should they be offering multiple tire types for every wheel size offered as a stock option?

Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

Areas that get snow should only be offered cars equipped from the factory to handle Winter?

I can't speak for the others, but I was more surprised that Ford (or anyone else) does that rather than thinking it's silly or uncalled for. In today's litigious society, I could just imagine an accident on ice or snow with the summer tires being blamed.

I'm not saying the option shouldn't be there (actually think it's neat), I'm just out of touch that the option is available.

That said, I could most certainly see higher performance oriented vehicles (Mustang, Corvette, et al) doing such -- still the buzzards (lawyers) flying around makes me wonder. But... with increasing performance characteristics in the cheapest manufacturer vehicles, why not offer a greater-than-all-season optional (dry/wet - not M&S 'approved') tire?

I guess we could ask the converse too as you did. Why not offer our northern Focus colleagues a "winter package" which includes OEM winter tires? In those places that have 12 months of winter with 3 months of damn poor sledding (Maine?) the 3 months without winter would tear the living shit out of the tires (guessing).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Interesting point, probably because car buying is based on dream summer day use & anything else is when you're forced to use it & deal with the weather.

It isn't THAT bad even in Snow Country here. 3 months when you NEED to be able to deal with it & 5 when it's smart to be prepared. Exceptions are a pain, 7 mo. that you COULD wish you had snow capable tires...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Every Lexus I leased here came with Summer Tires. I burned thru a pair in just 10K 1ooo less than the warning on the windshield saying 11k lol I live in Miami and the payment gets hot, real hot. Those soft rubber tires gripped like glue. I never felt out of control zipping off turnpike exits at asinine speeds. My continentals from factory are going to have to be changed in four - six months for sure. By then I should have 30K. I am waiting for a super duper tire sale. Cant believe I said super duper....

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Paying for good tires sould not be a suprise to people driving even medium performance cars. High performance tires wear out fast. Some very fast.
That I need to buy either a all season or Winter set of tires and wheels is a minor issue in my consideration of buying a ST.

For the budget minded finding a set of wheels that fit can be cheap.

I am a cheapskate spendthrift. So naturally I decided on 18" wheels for MY Winter tires. And Winter tires at $190 to $225 a pop? no problem.

The folks who think it is a big issue should go buy a Camry [giggle]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All,

Basically bought a new focus titanium 5 speed with handling package and requested to change tires to all seasons from summers to drive in winter as part of purchase agreement. They changed it with wrong size tires and the speed and odo do not read the proper readings and read a value lower than what I am going and only found this out by getting pulled over by police.
You seriously didn't question the taller tires when you took delivery?

I know I'd be all over them as soon as I saw my car.

·
Registered
443 Posts

SO, who gets the cars with Snow Tires as the only factory option? Which states are allowed "all season tires". Where do you have to live for summer tires to be an option?

Fancier wheels/tires are an OPTION that I see many regret choosing (or not even paying attention to) until they need to pay for replacements - or realize they aren't great for all seasons where they live. "But they looked so NICE, I didn't realize they'd be expensive to replace".

"Expensive tires" is the most common complaint I've heard about the earlier model Focus from average owners, and that referred to stock 16" aluminum Wheels/Tires. Didn't get any agreeing to a swap for my 15" wheels though... I hate to think what the owners of MkII's with the optional 17" rims said when faced with a tire bill, maybe that explains why those rims are fairly common on the used market.

Plenty of sporty cars come with summer tires std. or optional, I see no reason to call that a "stupid" decision when selling a sporty vehicle. I always though it silly for a Jeep to have that option chosen, figured I'd see them in the ditch come Winter even if the wide tires did have a minimal "all season" rating & I wasn't wrong.

The OP here says he didn't get what he thought he was being sold, if he was told they were slightly different it didn't register - and I certainly won't argue the point. They aren't the same size as he lists for stock on the car.

Speed ticket as a result? Look at the speed difference chart he posted, with a 4 mph difference at 70 mph. (I need to use US measure, because most here are more familiar with that.) More than 10 over, and exceeding typical traffic speed at the time, is typical for an open road ticket - and that's the only place the speed differential would be that large. Add it up, 11-4=7 so at least 7 over and exceeding typical would be the minimum for an average speeding ticket to be issued. That's assuming the speedo was exactly accurate, many register a couple mph slow to be sure the indicated isn't lower than actual with the std. tires installed. Indicated could easily have been 9 over to get a 11 over reading on the radar, minimal to justify a 10 over ticket. (usually more margin than that, just so it can't be argued)

After most of a year driving on the tires, what deal he can get when it's hammered out in small claims court is hard to guess. Pro-rated refund is the middle of the road estimate, range is from full replacement to nothing.

What I still don't get is the idea that Ford shouldn't have offered that option to begin with. What's the real suggestion? Should they be offering multiple tire types for every wheel size offered as a stock option?

Inquiring minds want to know...
What exactly would be the harm offering an all season in addition to the summer tires with the 18-inch wheels? By and large most vehicles on dealer lots come from the factory with all-season tires. Summer tires are an exception. If Honda can offer summer tires alongside all-seasons on certain models, Ford can too. My point was I would have liked the larger wheels and better suspension, but since Ford didn't offer them with anything other than summer tires, I opted not to get that package. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I doubt most people would be happy taking delivery of a new car only to have to immediately shell out more money on new tires.

It's not just a preference for me as much as a safety concern. All-seasons are generally considered "safe" to drive on in most climates. Summer tires in a winter climate is downright dangerous. I made the mistake of trying to make it through the tail end of winter in a Mazdaspeed 3 that came with summer tires, I would have had better traction on hockey pucks.

The Focus is not a sports car; most reviews I've read say the Michelins are overkill for the car anyway. I can understand a sports car only being offered with summer performance tires, but a 160-hp hatchback that most people will use for commuting? Seems unnecessary.

This has gotten off-topic anyway. Hope OP is able to work out his tire situation.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I doubt most people would be happy taking delivery of a new car only to have to immediately shell out more money on new tires.
You've never lived in upstate NY then because I've bought a new set of snow tires mounted on wheels whenever I've gotten another vehicle, including my 2012 Mustang. Hahaha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts