Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue to mine and if they could help.

Recently my ford focus 2002 tddi blower fan as completely stopped working. It doesn't work on any level.

I've read afew things about it how it may either be a blown fuse or the resistor under the glove box.

Has anyone had a similar issue or know the best way to check if the resistor is what needs to be changed?

Thanks

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Moved you to General Tech Chat. Sounds like its possible that either the motor died. Generally if the relay for the motor is shot, the motor will work on the highest setting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I have heard about alot of people having similar issues however the blower doesn't work even on the highest setting! (number 4)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you pull the glove box all the way out and look behind it, there's your blower motor. I'm not familiar with the Tddi version of the Focus, so I can't tell you which fuse to look at.

Usually fuses don't blow for no reason, so likely your motor is shot and needs replacing. The extra power draw to try to turn a motor that was seizing probably blew the fuse, if that's what's happened.

The resistor is what controls the speed settings by sending less power to the fan. At 4, power is travelling past the resistor with no slowdown, so if your fan won't come on at the highest setting, then it's not the resistor...or not primarily the resistor. You may want to replace it while you're there, especially on a 12-yr-old vehicle.

It's only four or six screws to remove the blower, so you might want to simply pull it out, run power to it, and see if it turns. If it does (without making weird noises), then your problem lies elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts