Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok have a 05 zx3 2.0 i was waiting in a drive thru when i start to hear this loud humming noise then the cars turns off turn back on and the noise is gone this has happend twice so far any suggestions?

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Mine has been doing this recently as well. I checked the oil levels (they were a bit low) ran some seafoam through the tank. and cleaned the MAF sensor.

No problems in a week.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If it goes away when you give it gas (rev up) then it might be your altenator.
I just had to replace mine yesterday. I ignored it so long that it was to the point where it would heat up and start to smell toxic. That smell started coming through the vents. So run by a battery shop and have them check it out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its did go away once i reved it up but it didnt sound like it came from the front more like passenger side towards the rear

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When it happens pop the hood and try to listen where it is coming from. If you can get an automotive stethoscope they work great for finding noises in the engine bay.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok it it is coming from the front is there a reason why the alternator makes this noise

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Alternators make humming/electrical noises before they fail completely....quite common. Check it with a stethoscope as suggested when the noise is present. It might pass a load test if you have it checked......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Never herd an alternator hum . Herd a lot of relays hum and control modules .On my 06 the fuel pump control mod is under the right rear passenger seat don’t know if yours is in the same place? If the Alt. proves good and not the problem look at the fuel pump control mod or a bad relay.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Secondary fan can be kinda loud if your sitting. You have your a/c on?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
have a/c but dont use it all its like once the car is warmed up and im somewhere just ideling the hum will come random

1 - 12 of 12 Posts