Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF

I'll be moving this to the General Tech Chat section for you in a moment, for now I can answer it quickly.

The four cylinders with wires plugged into them between the sides of the cam cover are your coils, one for each spark plug.

Each is plugged in & bolted down, when unplugged & unbolted you can lift it off complete with the rubber boot/connector to the spark plug underneath.

·
Registered
609 Posts
^Exactly. You have what is called Coil On Plug or COP. Instead of one central coil pack that supply's spark to all the cylinders, each cylinder has it,s own individual coil. That coil is mounted directly on the spark plug, hence the name Coil On Plug.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
HT leads are something else you won't find, hence the confusion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so where do those wires lead to under the engine off to the right? I feel like they lead to the box deal with the four plug-in deals all on one pack. (The coil pack?)

If I don't have a coil pack, where do those wires lead to? And should I replace them? (I imagine they are the originals, and I have 135k on this car.)

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Ok, so where do those wires lead to under the engine off to the right? I feel like they lead to the box deal with the four plug-in deals all on one pack. (The coil pack?)

If I don't have a coil pack, where do those wires lead to? And should I replace them? (I imagine they are the originals, and I have 135k on this car.)
I don't know what those wires are, but if I had to guess I'd say they go to the radiator fan. Don't mess with them. As said before you don't have a coil pack, you have a Coil On Plug (COP) ignition. Plug wires are pretty much "old school" these days.

I found a pic with arrows already on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so replacing these will help with the rough engine? Also if someone could help me find the idle control valve?

Thank for all the help guys!!

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Replacing a wiring harness for the car won't have ANY effect unless it's damaged, that's like replacing the car for an easy repair.

You could START with a fresh set of STOCK spark plugs (Or AR104 autolites for a cheap set that works well, but DOESN'T last the 100k stock plats. can do).

The boots/connectors on the coils can be replaced, occasionally helps if damaged/old/oil soaked from leaks.

Any maint. done since new?

The IAC is the cylinder underneath the throttle cable in the picture just posted that has a wire connector to it, that round thing with a black top.

Start a fresh thread describing your issues for better answers, and include mileage on the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts