Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new white face plates for my gauges a week ago. and just now was installing them. well guess what happens. The frekin rpm and mph needles pop off! i dont know what to do! i cant get the timing right so i dont know how fast im going....

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
There is a trick to figuring your RPM and speed by using the trip reset button. Holding it in when starting your car. It will give you the read out you need. You will have to leave the front piece off to put the needles on at speed. Not so much the RPM, but the speed. I'll see if I can find the thread. It's kinda of a pain but don't get bummed out. It'll get fixed.
Start here. Or do a needle reset search.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/needlecalibration/

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. It sucks so much ! its so difficult

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
How do I know. I went through the same thing about a month ago. When I did my speed, I lightly taped the tip of the needle to the gauge face and rested the other end on the pin. When I hit the speed I pushed it on lightly. Do not push it too hard, it will rub against the face. For RPM, just sit in a parking lot and use the reset trick to find RPM. I set my speed a little higher for a fudge factor. Showed 55 mph and I went with 52 or so.
List of test buttons.
Breakdown of some of the functions:
1 Press - Shows a Gauge Sweep
2 Presses - shows all 8's on the LCD (LCD TEST)
3 Presses - illuminates all the bulbs on the dash
4 Presses - displays hexadecimal value for ROM level
5 Presses - Displays the hexadecimal value for EE level
6 Presses - Shows DTC Troubleshooting Codes (Nothing to worry about though)
7 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - MPH
8 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - KPH
10 Presses - DIGITAL TACHOMETER

·
Registered
656 Posts
I just did mine and did the RPM and speedo setting in the garage.Once you get the cluster in test mode useing the trip reset button and finding the RPM readout with the engine runing and fully warmed up.Like said above the RPM is easy it may take a few trys though.For the speedo i remembered where the needle was at rest before i took it out it was at rest just over the corner of the LCD display yours should be same.In test mode there is a test(may be the Gauge Sweep test Terry posted) that will reset the needle postion to default (at least that is what i think it does)you can see the RPM needle shake back and forth when you do it.Once you see that you can carefully put the speedo needle on the stem in the position i noted above and it should be pretty close to right on.That worked for me.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I did mine going down a straight road at 30mph, and now they're more accurate than they used to be. I go back into test mode just to check every once and awhile, and still spot on.

I wouldn't suggest doing it standing still.

I would suggest having someone else in the car when doing the speedo though. Have them hold the wheel, that's what I did.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I did mine going down a straight road at 30mph, and now they're more accurate than they used to be. I go back into test mode just to check every once and awhile, and still spot on.

I wouldn't suggest doing it standing still.

I would suggest having someone else in the car when doing the speedo though. Have them hold the wheel, that's what I did.
True dat ! My son helped me by watching the road ahead.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No i didnt get a new cluster, I just got a new template. but the needles popped off. So like i can get it accurate. how am i suppose to put it in the perfect spot?

·
Registered
656 Posts
It worked for me doing it without moving useing the way i described above.I verified it by one of the portable radar signs the police put on the side of the road so i know it is correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts