Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad was driving his car and it died. He has free towing so called for a tow. The driver tried jumping it but car would not stay running when cables were removed. I first checked the three wires on back of alternator harness as the red wire on my svt broke so I had to replace the harness. His all look ok. I tried charging the battery but would barely take charge so I put in a new one. Car started and ran fine so took to autozone for in car alternator test. Car passed so thought all was well. After driving around for the day it started to die on him while he was driving but it would restart ok??? His batt light goes on and off on dash. Battery tested at 87 percent charged so I think alternator is charging or batt would be drained and would not turn over starter. Any ideas? Bad connection? Terminals are tight and clean. Any help is appreciated as I don't want him to have go pay dealer. It's a dohc zetec 2001 by the way do it has the pita alternator behind the motor not up front like 02+
Thanks in advance!

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Seems like the alternator is charging intermittently as indicated by the on and off battery light in the dash. You'd have to monitor the voltage output under various driving conditions to confirm.

You might want to check (or temporarily bypass) the alt to battery cable with a known good cable to ensure that there's no problem there. Also make sure your engine grounds are clean and corrosion free. But sounds like the voltage regulator, IMO.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the voltage regulator Inside the alternator?

Also what is the routing of the alternator and ground cables? Because the go into the loom stuff it's hard to see where they go

1 - 4 of 4 Posts