Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have finally decided I would like to shove some more air and fuel down the throat of my SVT :) The thing is... I cant make up my mind on which direction to go! I am pretty set on a SC as I dont like the whole complicated install and problems with tuning I have seen too much of with turbos.

My options are

JRSC w/ BBk - this is at the bottom of the list and I really dont like the idea of it as the numbers are a little low and its supposedly a PITA to install? although the total cost is around 3k. What are the numbers on the BBK? 220/170 or so?

Powerworks kit- Dont currently know the price, but I have an email out to find this info out (the regular zetec one went from 4,750 down to 2,999 which is a definite discount!) I am hoping it is somewhere around 3500 or less seeing as how the svt kit retailed for only 250 more than the standard kit. Anyway I have driven the PW SVT car and was very impressed. The only thing that concerns me is they rate it at 250hp/212tq at the flywheel- I am assuming this equates to approximately 220/180? I like the idea it is intercooled and it seems to be a very high quality setup.

Vortech: satin finish I can get it for 4350 or 4600 for polished. This is quite pricey and very low on the list due to that fact... the numbers are pretty high though arnt they? was thinking they were 270 hp (is that whp or at the fly?) and dont know about the TQ numbers

then there is the Procharger: I REALLY like the idea of this but am somewhat worried about a few things. First off price is 3,400 for the tuner kit (do they make a bolt on kit or is it ONLY the tuner kit?) so on top of that I would need what injectors/Maf/tune? So probably another 400-600 depending (I have an xcal 1 and not totally sure on which maf/injectors I would go with)
does anybody have numbers for this? I cant really seem to track any down! the website says 65-80 percent increase in power which is like 280-306 - I really like this number even if it is just at the flywheel - anybody know about the torque numbers?

I have only seen a couple of people on here with the procharger but both sold the kits shortly after getting them? (and one who bought a used one also sold that...) any of you who have or had one any input on this? I am a bit worried about how low the IC hangs and also am worried about the tuning problems some have talked about

Anyway what do all of you think? If you can answer any of the umpteen questions I just asked thats much apprecated as well!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
If you have the money got with procharger. I have the JRSC+BBK and i love it, not sure on exact numbers but yours are about average for you'd expect to see. Vortech seems way overpriced to me. The one down fall of the JRSC is, well one its non intercooled, and two it produces the least amount of torque out of the bunch. Procharger on the other hand, i believe puts out around 220whp and 200wtq which is quite a bit more than the JRSC and can also handle higher boost because it has an intercooler. My vote goes towards procharger.

·
Registered
348 Posts
JRSC w/ BBk - this is at the bottom of the list and I really dont like the idea of it as the numbers are a little low and its supposedly a PITA to install? although the total cost is around 3k. What are the numbers on the BBK? 220/170 or so?

Keep it at the bottom where it belongs.

Powerworks kit- Dont currently know the price, but I have an email out to find this info out (the regular zetec one went from 4,750 down to 2,999 which is a definite discount!) I am hoping it is somewhere around 3500 or less seeing as how the svt kit retailed for only 250 more than the standard kit. Anyway I have driven the PW SVT car and was very impressed. The only thing that concerns me is they rate it at 250hp/212tq at the flywheel- I am assuming this equates to approximately 220/180? I like the idea it is intercooled and it seems to be a very high quality setup.

While it's nice that they have finally come down from the astronomical level it was at..I'd still pass though, due to the install being a PITA, though not as bad as the Vortech. Power output is decent, but, it's still a roots blower all the same, which personally I am not a fan of. If I had the money/time to take the roots blower off my truck, I would.

Vortech: satin finish I can get it for 4350 or 4600 for polished. This is quite pricey and very low on the list due to that fact... the numbers are pretty high though arnt they? was thinking they were 270 hp (is that whp or at the fly?) and dont know about the TQ numbers

Install is a bigger bitch than Kyle's mom. The end.

then there is the Procharger: I REALLY like the idea of this but am somewhat worried about a few things. First off price is 3,400 for the tuner kit (do they make a bolt on kit or is it ONLY the tuner kit?) so on top of that I would need what injectors/Maf/tune? So probably another 400-600 depending (I have an xcal 1 and not totally sure on which maf/injectors I would go with)
does anybody have numbers for this? I cant really seem to track any down! the website says 65-80 percent increase in power which is like 280-306 - I really like this number even if it is just at the flywheel - anybody know about the torque numbers?

I have only seen a couple of people on here with the procharger but both sold the kits shortly after getting them? (and one who bought a used one also sold that...) any of you who have or had one any input on this? I am a bit worried about how low the IC hangs and also am worried about the tuning problems some have talked about

Cake install, set contained oiling, upgradable to 20+psi. Kit is 100% bolt on, the tuner thing you mention has nothing to do with the actual kit. It just doesn't come with injectors, maf or a tune. You can save $ on injectors by shopping around (I saved a good amount by not buying from Focus specific places, and didn't have to buy a set of 8 either).

The intercooler location isn't the greatest for bling factor, however it is in an area that gets a lot of airflow. It has caused me NO issues being there and has all of one dent in it from a rock skating across the highway after it fell off a trailer. Other than that, I have never hit a thing with it and that's on some crap ass roads too. The only thign that may hit is the rubber deflector. It's rubber though...whoopie!

Tune is going to be $$ anyways so figure more like 600-900 for injectors, maf and tune together.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
the SVT PW kit is sold out and it's staying thie same price. the zetec deal is only going on because they redesigned it a little so auto/manual/svt all use most of the same parts, and when the old stock clears out the price goes back to 4500 or whatever they sell for.

PW for the SVT you're basically guaranteed 250WHP. and you copuld probably squeeze a little bit more from that but 250ish is where you'll stay most likely, and in a focus thats quite a bit of power. also once the PW is installed it's very reliable.

the JRSC is decent if you want a pinch in the butt but nothing compared to the other options. i've been in cars with that and other foci making just under 200whp and wasn't too impressed. yeah you feel when you're in boost but the car still isn't keeping you planted to your seat back.

the vortech when once installed and running correctly is pretty cool. has a lot of the bling bling factor and you know the car's boosted when your next to it at a light. but the engineers spent too much time building it and planning everything out/materials and didn't take into consideration cost and effectiveness. just not worth the price for what you're getting.

as for the procharger. i've never seen one in person. i hear that they're fairly decent and they've shown a good power gains. also you can turn up the boost and make some good power if you're willing to spend the money.

i'd say try and get a ride in a powerworks powered car and a procharger powered car. look at how they're setup, and how the car feels when you're in boost then make you're decision. it always helps to test drife the product if you can before you buy it. i mean you don't just buy a car without driving it most likely right??

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I have seen a set-up ( at Mcnews ) and the install is real clean and they can make good power in the hands of a good tuner. The procharger is reasonable, you just need to plan on the extra cash for a tune after you install it... Both Focus-power.com and Mcnewsautomotive have done good tunes for these blowers. I like them, the only drawback is they are a bit noisy due to gear whine, but I kinda like the sound.

Second choice would be a powerworks, especially if you could get in at 2,999. But it looks like that not an option with the svt.

I am sure the vortech works well, but I was looking into one myself, and the install looks like a PITA

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
For the record, my friend's SVT put 253/202 at the wheels on his PW SVT with ORP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts