Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just got my oil changed yesterday using the recommended Motorcraft 5w-20 oil and the FL 910s oil filter. All was fine.

Today, as Im driving, the check engine light suddenly comes on, and when attempting to shift from 1st to 2nd, the car stalls and bogs down before shifting, does the same when going from 2nd to 3rd and when slowing down to a stop, drops down to right under 500 rpms, before it goes back up to the usual 750 rpm.

What could be the culprit? Car is a 2012 SEL 6 speed

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Without knowing the code that the car is displaying I would say you should take it back to the dealer if it's still under warranty. It's next to impossible to diagnose an engine or transmission problem remotely.

It could be something wrong with the clutch pack, or it could just be some electrical glitch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah extended warranty was purchased.

Guess I'll head up to the dealership first thing in the morning.

JUST got my car back from having my clutches replaced due to transmission shudder. Sigh

·
Registered
258 Posts
Focuson20's, I had the same problems and it occurred just a few days after my clutch replacement. Dealer had my car for 7 work days! They fixed it and said it was a bad pin connection on the harness. I blamed the clutch replacment. Someone was sloppy with reconnects. Regardless, they just acted like it was an original problem and not their fault. Car runs fine now. Take it back ASAP.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the check engine light went off now. But I still want to take it in tomorrow morning just to be sure

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Oh too bad! I mean that's a reason to Ford to say everything is fine, couldn't find the problem, BS...
I hope it won't happen again, it could be just a bad gas

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me know how the visit goes. :)

Meagan
Car is still there. Awaiting a call from the dealership.

Took it in, got extended warranty. Great. Then goes on to tell me that if they find something wrong with it that isn't covered by the warranty, then Ford won't pick up the bill on the rental car.

Here's to them not saying my k&n intake was the problem, even though it's been on there for the past ~12k miles and was on there even when they replaced my clutches

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If the check engine light went off, they have nothing to check..

IMO the check engine light is the worst idiot light possible.[hihi]

The check engine sez': "someing, but I do not have a clue what, is not exactly right, at this moment'.
If it goes off that means nothing is still wrong.
Taking it in, and they find nothing to check, means yes you pay for them checking (for nothing) and for the rental.[rant] (unless they really are nice and do stuff for free, even if it costs them....?)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the check engine light went off, they have nothing to check..

IMO the check engine light is the worst idiot light possible.[hihi]

The check engine sez': "someing, but I do not have a clue what, is not exactly right, at this moment'.
If it goes off that means nothing is still wrong.
Taking it in, and they find nothing to check, means yes you pay for them checking (for nothing) and for the rental.[rant] (unless they really are nice and do stuff for free, even if it costs them....?)
it went off, then came back on again, and the stalling/bogging down happened again

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
it went off, then came back on again, and the stalling/bogging down happened again
What's the fault code... without the code we cannot help!

Its like saying doctor, I have pain! (with no explanation)

·
Registered
158 Posts
The "V-Power" here is crap whereas yours may or may not be.

Who told you that it was the best?
Where I live V-Power is the only gas with zero ethanol. I consider it to be the best.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
The "V-Power" here is crap whereas yours may or may not be.

Who told you that it was the best?
[nono] Jeez not that thing again...if you want to start a fuel flamewars please continue in this thread to bash...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472057

[thankyou]

EDIT:

Where I live V-Power is the only gas with zero ethanol. I consider it to be the best.
Not true... any 91 premium gas do NOT contain any ethanol (at least from top tier fuel producer)...

Trust me I've been to Toronto...

In my region, some gas station offer higher than 91 octance (like petrocan 94 ultra) is nothing more than the premium tank mix with additives.

Anyway i'm done with this

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Figured I'd update this

So, apparently when you get the clutches replaced for transmission shudder, your transmission module may or may not need to be replaced aswell

So if you go in for transmission shudder, be sure to have them check the transmission module aswell, or you could risk the check engine light just randomly coming on when it feels like and damn near stalling the car when wanting to shift from 1st to 2nd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would that be the brain module? Or the two electro mechanical modules that do all the movement of junk in the clown transmission?

The wife and I were laughing so hard this evening listening to the tranny in our new Focus. And guessing what clown sound or feel it would make next.

OOOO the list my dealers going to get when it goes in for it's first oil change bless there hearts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts