Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I just took my car to the stealership to get my leak checked out. They came back and said I have several problems with my car. I went around and checked and most of them were correct.

One thing that he said, and I never got to take a look, was that something was off about the transmission. He said that it appeared the transmission housing (case) was welded back together.

My questions is:

Was he just not familiar with the 6-speed they use in the SVT? Do they appear different than regular Ford 5-speed's?

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
They do look different, but it shouldn't look like it was welded together.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody have any pictures I can take into the dealer with me to compare?

I am not even sure where on the transmission he is talking about.

Also, is it common to break the oem transmission mount on these?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just saw in the other thread that this is not normal.

Someone said it was probably due to an "exploding flyewheel"

So what exactly should I be worried about with this?

·
Registered
301 Posts
they are probably right about the exploding flywheel. seen it before. never seen a patch job though. i would imagine it is fine, i cant see how it would effect the structural integrity. but i am no expert on transmissions.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it too much.
at some point the clutch or flywheel came apart and put a hole in the case, this was just welded over the hole so nothing could fall in.
If you plan on a s/c or turbo, i would probably suggest a good used tranny due to the extra stresses on it.
I have actually seen similar and the trannies are still going after 100k miles with no problems. Don't let them try and talk you into a new tranny, it's not needed.
But, I would look for a good used one to put in at some point.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Anybody have any pictures I can take into the dealer with me to compare?

I am not even sure where on the transmission he is talking about.

Also, is it common to break the oem transmission mount on these?
Yes, get an aftermarket one from CFM, it will vibrate a little more, but it will hold up a lot better.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
well, it didnt come from the factory like that.

its hard to say what could have happened, but most likely, the trans blew something out of it, and created a hole, which is now welded together.

i have a friend that has a first gen sclipse, awd, and he had his trasmission bellhousing welded back together after he blew it. it was cheaper, and worked just fine. he has no problems with the trans and that was over two yers ago.

idk what to tell you

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
I hadn't read of something like this, all i can say is that seems you have ther same coolant leak in your thermostat

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me.

I am new around here and everyone has been extremely nice and helpful.

It does seem like the clutch went and blew a small whole through the bellhousing. I hear this will be fine, I just need to check the welds every once and awhile and make sure there is no cracking. It is unfortunate, but I will have to deal with it. I have been driving around with it like it is and it seems fine, I have actually been impressed with the transmission and the stock mount has been broken.

I am also fixing my thermostat and valve leak this weekend. Thanks to the great write-ups on here!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I thought that a weld, if done properly will actually make it stronger, so you shouldn't ever have to worry about it!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
That is pretty interesting / crazy... Did you do a carfax on the car? where'd you get her from? Since they didn't tell you anything about the tranny...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts