Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home in a hurry and someone was hauling my ass anyways, I went to shift too 4th and threw my clutch a little hard. Now my shifter just rolls and wont click latch into 4th or 3rd help please.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just checked wasn't that, thanks though. part of the plastic part of shifter housing that holds the cable broke off. so idk what i need.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In a pinch I used hi-temp tie-wraps to hold my cables to the standoff on my 98 Ranger, but my only issue was that the cables were really slack and flopping side to side with too much play in the shifter. I zip tied them to the stand-off. I looped one into a harness and then put another around the loop from the first. Mine wasn't shifting bad tho, just making noise, so this may not help you at all.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Well, you need to replace the broken part.... (grin)

Seriously, the plastic shifter bases have been known to break, especially with "over enthusiastic" shifting. Some models had a metal base (SVT?), but I can't remember right now which ones... Try a search for "shifter base" & check the "stickies"...

For now, the zip tie suggestion, or maybe Baling wire for a more secure tie down might get you by until you can do a "proper" repair....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man! And i found out whats wrong the shifter base like broke it cracked and one piece broke off. ordering one from cfm i guess.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
x2 on using the SVT shifter base, it's metal.

But as a temp fix you can use a chunk of metal strapping. Just be easy on the shifting and it'll survive the week or so til the new one arrives. Believe there's pictures or something in the how-to section, search "broken shifter fix" maybe?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
The one from Gold Coast is a Stock SVT base.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts