Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here. My friends son recently purchased a 2010 Focus a few weeks ago. The master cylinder ran dry or was pretty close to that when he got it. I'm more of a GM truck guy (construction trade) and have tools for bench bleeding and pressure bleeding those big masters but am lost with what to do with this set up. We did the "old school" pump and crack the nut on the cylinders for about 30 minutes thinking that might get the air out of the master and the brake lines. No luck, air just kept coming out of the rear wheel cylinder. We also noticed when the brake peddle was depressed, you could see air bubbles rising in the reservoir.

My questions are:

-How to (or do you even need to) bench bleed the master cylinder since it ran dry or if I end up replacing the master.

-How could I pressure bleed the system? I have an older Snap On bleeder and I could get the fitting to go on the top of the reservoir. I usually pressure that to 30 pounds. Looking at the plastic reservoir and the plastic line running to the master, I'm worried I might blow those apart. Do I use lower pressure or "old school" it with the pump the peddle, crack the nut method.

-Based on what I've said, should I just replace the master or would you think there might be hope in bench bleeding it? As I was laying under the car bleeding it, I didn't see any leaks anywhere else - bad wheel cylinders, leaking calipers. Granted, I have not pulled all that apart to take a closer look (I probably should do that!)

-Lastly, how the heck do you get to that master to remove it? Any tricks or advise before I start pulling things apart would be appricaited.

The master cylinder is a little new to me, I wanted to gain some knowledge about it before I got too much further into this project.

Thanks in advance.

Eric M.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts