Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sort of offshoot from this thread I started:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482953

I mentioned I wanted to switch back to the stock SVT exhaust because I find my current 2.5" Trubendz setup noisy and giving too much drone. It has the 4x18 Magnaflow resonator and Borla muffler.

Since finding an SVT exhaust is next to impossible, here's my idea to make my current exhaust quieter:

-Replace the Magnaflow resonator 4x18 with a 4x22. I could fit a 6x27 but I'd probably scrape the resonator every time I drove into my underground parking.

-Keep the Borla muffler where it is

-Add a second resonator in the section of exhaust behind the LCA. I could maybe fit a round or oval 12" or 14" in there.

Thoughts?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Go w/ a 6''x 20'' or 22''. Or add another 4''x 18'' behind the one you already have.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah just checked the 6" would get destroyed haha. Although I understand the larger diameter would make a more significant difference. Adding the 4x18 in the straight portion behind the current resonator is my best option.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Yeah just checked the 6" would get destroyed haha. Although I understand the larger diameter would make a more significant difference. Adding the 4x18 in the straight portion behind the current resonator is my best option.
Can you get a longer one to fit, Like a 20'' or 22'' case length? Or how 'bout a 5'' diameter one w/ a 20 or 22'' case length? Just to add the fwerks ''stealth'' is a magna flow w/ a 6'' diameter case. There's really more room in the straight section then you think.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll double check my clearance when I drive down my driveway. Magnaflow have that crazy long one but it's now a clearance issue with the ground.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I'll double check my clearance when I drive down my driveway. Magnaflow have that crazy long one but it's now a clearance issue with the ground.
Checkout the magnaflow site, then go to the universal & then look for round cases. Go w/ 2= one into the other. How low is your car? I like how fwerks has the flange really tight up to the flex, thats gives you options for another muffler behind the stealth. Checkout my album pix for my exhaust setup.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saw your albums. Thanks. Gives me some good ideas for sure. Have any sound clips?

My magnaflow resonator is almost on top of the flex pipe flange as well.

I'm not stupid low. My wheels aren't tucking or anything but also don't have a finger gap. But going from a 4" to 6" resonator reduces ground clearance by an inch.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
It sounds very similar to a stock '05-'07 st w/ a tad bit of header ting.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I went with the Magnaflow 6x18 muffler in 2.5". I had initially thought I ordered the 4x18 but it's no big deal, I'll make it work.

Now the only issue is the supposed 2.5 is actually 2.75 outer diameter. There's no way any of my 2.5" couplers will work at all. I'm surprised the muffler tubing is that big.

That's a lot of gap welding.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Well I went with the Magnaflow 6x18 muffler in 2.5". I had initially thought I ordered the 4x18 but it's no big deal, I'll make it work.

Now the only issue is the supposed 2.5 is actually 2.75 outer diameter. There's no way any of my 2.5" couplers will work at all. I'm surprised the muffler tubing is that big.

That's a lot of gap welding.
So you got a 2.75'' tubing? Reducers to the rescue.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
What's the OD of your current tubing?

How close is it as a slip over piece.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
felix,

Magnaflow doesn't even make a 2.75 tubing universal muffler. They jump from 2.5 to 3.0. I was fully expecting to just chop a section out of my exhaust tubing and butt-clamp the new muffler in place.

sailor,

The current OD of my tubing is 2.5". The 2.5" OD tubing will easily fit in the 2.75" OD tubing ends of the muffler. The shop would have to even expand the tubing in order to make up the 1/8" to even get a good fit. Just seems strange.

I'll get under there tonight to measure the OD the ends of the magnaflow resonator I already have under there, and see how it's welded to the tubing. Seems to me that it should be a little more simpler than this. I'm also thinking of ordering a Borla resonator just to compare and see how large their version of 2.5" tubing is. It would be perfect if there was a way to shrink or crimp the ends down but I don't think it's possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts