Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well
I have been hearing a little noise out back and took Zippy in to get things checked out. I had suspected the pads were getting worn down as I'm just under 60K miles and the tech confirmed it for me hahahaha He pointed out that all the pads were worn down enough that they should be replaced and his visual inspection of the rotors pointed towards "iffy" for turning them, guessing they will need to be replaced too.
The estimate came back and the $'s added up fast! The SVT parts are larger and all cost A LOT more then what I was thinking. I know they have some good profit built into the parts...but OUCH!

Have any of you all out there had your brakes done at a shop or dealer around the area?
Did you find a good deal or bring your own parts in?
Where should I look to find parts at a good price or Hook Up?

Is the job a big PITA which should just be brought to a shop or the dealer? Or is this something that could be done in the garage on a Sat afternoon?

She's not a race car, but my daily driver so what about recommendations on the replacement pads n' stuff?
Maybe a brand or type to choose and Where to get the best deal?

Thanks for the info
Tim

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I did it myself, it was no big deal. I got EBC pads and rotors, they work great. Next time I might get powerslot rotors and hawk pads, I have heard a ton of good things about that combo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did it myself, it was no big deal. I got EBC pads and rotors, they work great.
Where did you get the parts from?
Is any special tools needed to make the change?
Feel free to PM me some details - I've got to make a decision here soon to either get the parts, take it somewhere or look at trade options on a new car[woot]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension".
There's tons of threads with suggestions in this area.

I for one (along with several others on FF) am running Centric Rotors (blanks) and Hawk HPS pads.
Couldn't be happier.
Not only do they work well on the street, but they also have no problem tackling a road course or AutoCross event.

See here for info (special tool) on rear brakes:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136919

And, for some help with the pesky caliper clip on the front brakes:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121610

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh, and that clip is a total PIA...

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Solid Centrics or Brembos rotors are the way to go along with either Hawk HPS, Mintex AF's, or Axxis/PBR metalmasters (now owned by Centric). I've heard rumors that Centrics semi- metallic pads may be the same formulation. Do a search on each as the prices and cheapest places seems to change daily.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Brakes are the most important part of ur car, don't skimp out. Go w/ Brembo or EBC!!

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
powerslot and hawk, this will be my breaks once i can get the cash together

and NEVER resurface rotors, for a little extra $$$ you get new, and when you resurface a rotor, you make the walls thiner and they will not be as effective and wont last much longer, its like putting a band-aid on a broken arm

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Another recommendation for the Centric BLANK rotors and Hawk HPS set up.

They are available at any of the links posted, but shop around.

I got my pads (rotors are still original - until this last track event where I TRASHED THEM) and rotors (spare set) from:

http://www.brakeplanet.com

In my opinion, the single BEST thing about the SVT is the braking system with a slightly more aggressive pad than the stock pad (which is still VERY good).

If you are comfortable with hand tools and minor repairs - even if you don't do a lot of mechanical work to your car, the job is pretty simple. It should only take you a couple of hours at the most.

Take your time and you should be fine.

Good luck and use the forum to help you further. We are all more than willing tohelp andwalk you through if you think you get into trouble. [thumb]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate your input!!!!

? I have seen Centric rotors at a few places, but never this "BLANK" that has been written?
example - rock auto CENTRIC Part # 12061071 $51.79http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
That price is real low - just wondering if I'm looking at what you have bought?

And as far as pads go - Ceramic the better choice?
Tim

·
Registered
584 Posts
+1 for blanks and Hawk HPS-es!! This makes a very nice improvement and isn't that expensive.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I appreciate your input!!!!

? I have seen Centric rotors at a few places, but never this "BLANK" that has been written?
example - rock auto CENTRIC Part # 12061071 $51.79http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
That price is real low - just wondering if I'm looking at what you have bought?

And as far as pads go - Ceramic the better choice?
Tim

Yes those are them... You won't find them cheaper. Wouldn't do ceramics, but thats just me.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Not a big fan of ceramic pads either. The biggest drawback is when you change them out. If you go with a semi metallic pad after running the ceramic, stopping power is not as good and you tend to get pulsation - even if the rotors are turned.

·
Registered
672 Posts
do a search on bedding in new brakes. Improperly bedding or not can cause later pulsations. My experience (50 years-Many cars) cutting rotors once causes no problems. It's even recommended by the factorys, which would make more by selling new ones.

Another thought. I've NEVER heard of a garage or service place looking at brakes and not saying that you need a full brake job. I've actually had Dodge tell my wife that she shouldn't drive and all parts were unrecoverable (including calipers) (they were rusty)) Sold the dodge bacause that was the third dealer that was trying to pick my pocket....

·
Registered
373 Posts
^^ Very true... If you go with the Hawks, they actually have the bedding procedure on the box.... Just follow instructions and everything should work out great.

It's worked so far for me [:)]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New Front Rotor and brake pad

New Rear Rotor and brake pad

Sorry - Didn't have my digital, so pictures taken with the cell phone, but you can still see the quality of the Centric Rotors - well above what I was expecting.

I rolled down to my friends house Sat morning with my new rotors and pads in back getting excited about swapping stuff out. After getting Zippy up on stands and the rims off we start pulling brake parts apart - struggling with a crazy spring on one side and having the other side assembly just fall right off lol Then out back where we find the rear pads are worn down to the nub some how and the rotors have managed to rust them selves to the hubs $%^&!
Ben pulls out his secret weapon - the air hammer and it hammers away on the rotors until they finally break loose....and maybe nick one of the wheel studs in the process hahaha Now off on a parts run and to pick up a burger. With some gentle nudges from the rubber mallet, a spring flying off just missing an eye and some choice words - most everything goes back together. After spend most of the day working on the swap (expected it to only take about three hours) I then made a very quiet ride back home.

I could not have got the job done at my place alone - no air tools and I don't know if I would have figured out some of the tricks to get the brakes apart. If your car has a lot of miles on it in an area with snow and salt I wouldn’t recommend doing this yourself without the proper tools. Lots of rust, corrosion and other crap build up on these parts making is a PITA. Although we planned the project to take much less time, I know I had a lot of fun messing around, BSing and finally getting the car back together.

Slow brake-in Sat night that will continue on my commute this week.
So far the Monroe ceramic pads are VERY quiet and produce almost no dust.
Can't wait to try them out harder later this week.

Thanks again for the input - it did really help!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
TOTALLY OFF TOPIC...

WeeAsp, it it me, or is there a third boob staring at me from your avatar ??? (not that I was really looking ;-) )

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
^^ yes there is.... good eye mate

heres one i have an advace trac focus. does anyone have a set of blanks on a site for that package. (front and rear discs, both 250mm.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts