Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I own a 2000 focus zx3 and I was wondering what can I add or change to my engine that I can get better gas mileage?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check your tire press often, you can try running a little higher pressures but keep an eye on wear pattern.
Use synthetic oils
Make sure alighnment is good
Keep car clean and wax it a few times a year.
Keep all the maint up to date
Don't carry unnessasary crap in the car, lower weight helps everything.
Don't use a/c, but that might not be an option for you.

It's pretty hard to get more MPG, if there were any "easy" way to improve that number Ford would have done it.
You can spend ton of cash on performance mods that also happen to improve mileage a little but a 300 dollar exhaust to get 1mpg is going to take a long time to pay for itself.
K&N or ITG replacement air filter will pay for itself in what would have been two stock air filter changes and might get you 1mpg. If all you want is better mileage the list above is a good start.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
how many miles are u getting each tank? i average around 250 to 280 a tank no more no less. and Hank "Keep car clean and wax it a few times a year." helps with gas milage how? lol i mean i agree 100% he should do that anyway but how does that help?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I guess if it the car's surface was clean and smooth there would be better aerodynamics? [???:)]

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Lose weight...lighter rims, battery, Atkins...lol....if you're not into performance tires...get some low rolling resistance tires...hotter coil....ugh the stuff above. Crap outta beer[:(]

·
Registered
456 Posts
Take out your backseats, that will reduce weight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
also, as far as not using a/c...if you're on the highway, using a/c uses less fuel than drag created by having windows even partially open. you really see the effects of a/c if you do a lot of city driving. you *might* be able to get away with hotter spark plugs, but I don't know how much before the engine starts to ping. the car runs on 87 octane, the ecu could wind up retarding the timing a lot if you get ones that are much hotter than stock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not overly pleased with my milage either- just bought my 2000 SE with Zetec a month ago. As I mentioned on another thread, my wife's Cavalier does a lot better, so I was surprised and somewhat disappointed. I'll add a list of things I plan on having checked at a Ford dealer-

- PVC filter- I just put in a K&N, and the PVC looked real cruddy
- EGR valve- engine code readings will reveal if it's functioning OK- if it's not flowing enough exhaust gas, the computer will run the engine rich to compensate
- Oxygen sensors- I believe there are two of them

If the above checks out OK, I might consider having a lower restriction catalytic converter installed.
I've already put in new Autolite double platinums, and although the ones that came in the car looked horrible- according to the service record, they had never been changed, the new ones didn't improve my milage. By the way- I do get 340 miles on a tank- 80% highway with cruise on, but I'm not happy with this because my previous VW Passat- 500 pounds heavier car, and my wife's nursemobile, with automatic, get considerably better milage.

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
"Keep car clean and wax it a few times a year." helps with gas milage how?
Probably does seem a little overkill on a car but aerodynamics play a big role, esp at high speeds. Airlines spend countless hours washing aircraft, and thousands of dollars a couple times a year to have them waxed in order to cut fuel costs. Same with keep your windows rolled up(you may not be willing to drive with windows up and no A/C in your area, but it will help mileage), no roof rack, gigantic ass wings, tires that stick outside the body work, or wider tires at all (rolling resistance), it all adds up. Haven't you ever noticed how much slicker the surface of your car is after a fresh wax? The air sees the same thing, if your commuting on the freeway everyday it may help, but your mileage may vary.....literally

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
yah waxing is a godo thing! :) also makes u'r car look perdy ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
is your car auto or manual?
I have a 2003 ZX3 5-spd, and i get about 300 miles/tank (NO A/C)... with A/C i get about 250 miles/tank. AC makes a HUGE difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts