Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
information.
i have a '04 focus svt
and i think the battery is going bad because it take forever to have the car start.
and like i believe it is the battery and my friend (works at pepboys as parts manager) says he believes its my battery going bad.

what battery do i need?
what is the best brand and performance.
price doesnt matter.

thanks

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
test the battery for sure before you replace it.

just about any brand battery will work fine, your better batteries will typically last longer, like Interstate comes to mind.

if price doesnt matter then go for a optima red top, they can be pricy at around $150 but will out last and provide more power than a lead acid battery.

if your running a good size stereo setup then go for an optima yellow top they are pricy as well but desgined for high draw items, such as a stereo system

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^^The new Optimas are junk IMO. They where bought out back in '04 I believe and since then quality has gone down. I still have one from '01 in my car and working fine, but I've heard of many many new ones not even lasting 2 years.

From a financial standpoint get a battery from Wal-Mart. If anything happens during the warranty period their no hassle policy is a life saver. Plus the morons working there rarely check a battery, just a straight up exchange.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
^^^i agree. i got a red top too, and it died in a year and a half. i dont know why anyone would say that they will outlast a lead-acid battery. i know of others who have had them too, and they have had the same issue. just get a diehard or interstate.

it's a small displacement engine. you dont need too much power to crank it, but in cold areas like here, its best to have one with some extra cca.

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
270 Posts
wrc, if the engine cranks normally and isn't starting I don't think a new battery is going to fix it. It could be a fuel pressure problem or something like that. Is it cranking slow or normal?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
also, remember, the foci have a hard start problem too....

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I believe the latest Consumer Reports tests gave the Sears Diehard Platinum battery the top rating... but they are rather expensive, e.g., they may be the best battery, but not the best for the money. I believe the Sears Platinum batteries are manufactured by the same company that makes odyssey batteries for motorcycles and the military.

Surprisingly, I believe the Duralast batteries also tested-out well.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Got a link at all?
I can probably chase down the parent companies of each if ya do. IIRC there are only 3-4 battery companies in the US, everything else is just a brand label; Deka is one of the bigger ones I know.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
johnson controls is another

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
johnson controls does all the diehards. were doing the optimas too for a while.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I say go with a Wal Mart battery after you test it to make sure thats it. They don't hassle you if you need to return the battery. You don't even need a receipt to return it...they'll go by the date on the sticker on the battery.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> They don't hassle you if you need to return the battery.

While I agree that this is a worthwhile point, I would just as soon get the battery which has the least chance of having to be returned, since they always seem to fail under the worst conditions, e.g., when it is twenty below zero and windy. Having once swapped-out a battery in a parking lot at night under those conditions, I am willing to pay a few extra bucks to minimize the possibility of doing it again.

But I suppose it also depends upon where one lives, as there probably aren't many twenty below blizzards in Mobile Al, e.g., the best battery to buy depends upon an individual's personal situation in terms of location, financial situation, etc. We can give the pros and cons of the options, but it's up to the individual to weight those pros and cons for their personal situation. Since the original poster said "price doesn't matter," I suspect a Diehard Platinum might fit his situation better than an energizer from WalMart.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
sears they can look you up, or they go by the sticker on the battery.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Everybody's running with the idea that the battery is bad. That hasn't been shown.

If the car is slow to start, it might be that the battery is perfect- able to crank this thing around until it finally fires and runs.

What do you mean by "slow to start? Does it turn over normally?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> Everybody's running with the idea that the battery is bad.

Well, not exactly. His question was about batteries, not what anyone thinks is wrong.

But you're right... even though he didn't ask, we should have questioned the diagnosis,

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
^^^same sentiment. im just talking about batteries. i already said hat it could be the 'hard start' issue, or other problem. if it is cranking slowly, it could be the battery tho...starter too, but u want to eliminate the easiest/cheapest/most disposable thing first

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
WRXwannabe's original post says the car is taking a long time to get started and that he thinks the battery is the cause. The battery is hanging in there as long as it takes to get this thing going, right? That doesn't sound like a bad battery to me! That sounds like a very good battery. All right then- hard to start? In what way? Is it rolling over too slowly? We have no idea. Is it spinning over just fine but not firing? We don't know. So why a new battery? Everything so far is "By guess and by gosh".

Wannabe, your hard starting could be caused by any one of a hundred things, the battery being no more than a remote possibility based on what you've spelled out so far. You need to do a proper diagnosis (we can guide you if you want), determine what is wrong, and replace that one thing that is the culpret. That's the proper way, the least expensive way, and in the process you'll learn more about your car.[cool]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts