Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup guys..... I need some help here. I have a 2002 ZX3 ATX w/ Zetec 2.0 engine. This is the problem when Im in a full stop for example and then I hit the accelerator to move on the car does this weird vibration. Not only when Im in a full stop but while in motion as well. I was coming home from the movies last night and when I accelerated to pickup more speed it started vibrating again then it kinda stops.

Things Ive noticed.
- It does it when I accelerate from a full stop state.
- It does it while Im in motion.
- It does it even when it's in a full stop and I mean with the gear on P. U accelerate it like that and still does it.
- When I turn on the A/C it gets even worse when I accelerate.
- It does it when there's electrical stuff on. ( Headlights , Radio , etc.)
- It does it even when I got nothing eletrical on. ( No radio , no Headlights , etc.)

What do u guys think it could be. Some people say it's electrical , some say it's engine related , some people say it's tranny related. Honestely I need people like u to help me since you guys also drive and have Focus as well.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ALSO: When you go really slow it doesn't vibrate at all it's when you accelerate to pickup speed that it does it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
maybe a motor mount? try placing a jack under your oil pan (with a block of wood between the two, of course!) and just taking the weight off of the mounts. you know, don't try to jack up the car by the oil pan or anything. if the vibration goes away, that usually points to a bad mount. you might even want to rev it up a little, see what it does.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
motor mount, crankshaft dampener maybe..

Or, you could be describing an ignition miss... I've had folks describe them that way to me at the service counter before. I don't know your technical background, I'm not meaning to insult you if you know the difference between a vibration and a miss..

·
Registered
351 Posts
Focus Racer S2,

would you call this a shudder???

if so, replace your plug wires. chances are you have arcing and are losing power in and out VERY rapidly under load.

A quick way to tell, start the car, have a friend/wife/girlfriend etc sit in the car and pop the hood. Have them put the car in drive while holding the brake. Now, YOU should be standing in front of the open hood with a squirt (preferrably MISTING) bottle. Spray your wires rather generously while the car sits under load. If it shudders badly during that, it's the wires. Replace the plugs while you're at it. Cheap way to test it yourself with a definate answer.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I will give this a try and post back with the results. If anything else comes to your mind of what this problem could be post it and let me know. Thanks for the help so far. Any other help is welcome!

·
Registered
672 Posts
On the testing the wires effort. Do it at night, and if they start shorting to the engine or each other, you'll see it. Also, in daylight, wet your fingers and run them over the wires. If shorting, you'll feel it.

About the "Judder???, You didn't say what kind of transmission, but this can be done with either. Set the hand brake firm, and step on the brake. Have someone observe the engine area. Put the car in reverse (this way you won't run over the help. Rev the engine a little and let the clutch out slowly until the engine loads the drive train. Do this several times. Bad motor mounts will allow a lot of engine movement. You must have some movement, but this might give you some idea.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
PDQ, if the guy trying your "test it with a wet finger" method happens to have a pacemaker, you could have just killed him. 40,000+ volts is nothing to play around with, even if it has no current to go with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts