Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Zx4 SES Focus.
VIN - 1FAFP34N05W235165
I'm fairly certain I have a Vortec 2.0L but I'm not 100% hoping the VIN can help someone be certain.
So I finally figured out why my car was "slamming" into reverse.... so simple I feel like a true idiot not realizing this before. When I put my car in reverse especially when its cold my entire engine lurches forward and slams back down the severity is random. For now I am avoiding reverse like the black plauge until I figure out which mount is broken/damage. From what I see on RockAuto.com there are 3 engine mounts but I by no means have any idea whats what. If anyone could give me an idea of which mount would be broken to cause my above mentioned issue and also provide the part number so I can order the correct one I would be truely grateful!
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Hi. Go to ->
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do
then click Vehicle tab.
then Enter your VIN.
You have a Duratec engine.

Build Date: 15.12.2004
Vehicle Line: Focus 2004-
Body Style: 4 Door Saloon
Version: ZX4 Series
Engine: 2.0L Duratec HE (137PS)
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Transaxle - 4F27E
Drive: LHD FWD
Axle Ratio: 3.73
Emission: 50 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Paint: French Blue CC

I do not have part numbers for each mount on your car. Call or click any store for that and price info. Others here might also help with p/n's.

Vendor area here at FF can also help.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

also http://www.rockauto.com/
also http://autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Suggest you replace all 3, not just one. Cheers!

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
If you can also sometimes feel the hit when simply backing off throttle in drive then the lower trans mount or dogbone as they call it here. When dead the engine trans can rotate vigorously in the excess play to hit hard like smacking a curb.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Minutes ago, I opened this box that I got in the mail today. Inside the box are;

New Ford Genuine Parts
Drivers Side Trans Mount: 8S4Z-7M121-A
Trans/Torque Mount (Dogbone): YS4Z-6068-MA

These part numbers MIGHT be the same your car uses.

Who ever sent these parts to me, Thank You! <marde>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes!

If you can also sometimes feel the hit when simply backing off throttle in drive then the lower trans mount or dogbone as they call it here. When dead the engine trans can rotate vigorously in the excess play to hit hard like smacking a curb.
This absolutely, I feel almost like a "downshift" when I let off the throttle.
Can anyone link me the "dogbone" mount I need, looking for quality at the best price!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I do not have a direct link for a Ford dogbone. I think it is officially called a Engine Rear Support Insulator.

Like I said earlier, lots of vendors can help you (links above) and can offer good/great/best prices. Please do not be tempted by after-market & cheap versions of this dogbone. You can get one for crazy cheap (10 bucks!!) or a much better Ford brand dogbone for about 70 (?)... that will last much much longer.

The p/n I gave you above should be the same as yours.

You will be very happy after replacing all 3 mounts. Please use a Ford branded mount on the passenger side mount.

Also, lots of youtube videos out there on replacing these mounts. Not too hard to do these at home if you want.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Get a Ford dogbone or do what this guy named Marde did:

-- from 3-14-2014 --
I put in an Anchor brand dogbone and 6 months later started getting a slight bump when shifting into Drive... SHOCKING that my eight dollar dogbone did not last long. Some 3rd-party seller (via Amazon) was giving these away for that price with free shipping. Amazon is now the seller of these and is charging a more normal price of 38 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NZ5VYG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put my old OEM one back in for now. The Anchor passes visual and some stupid physical tests off the car though.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
For dogbone's, poly is the way to go, whether you do insert's or get the steeda/vf engineering one!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Yes... but you forgot to add the drawback of poly. Great lifespan, a nice firm response, -and each poly mount added adds vibration in the cabin. With 3 poly mounts = massage therapy while in your car. Read enough posts to know, but never done a poly myself so I shouldn't talk... Guessing a poly dogbone alone (with OEM rubber on the other two mounts) might be OK or not too bad on cabin vibrations. -? Sounds OK, plus or minus price/labor concerns.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The poly dogbone far exceeds the negative. Sure there's a slight vibration at idle, other then that your motor isn't rocking around near as bad w/ a rubber setup & adding wheel hop & other nasty habits.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
I tried a poly dog insert (Energy Sus. brand) and had to remove it in like a month, it had worn to fall right out. Rattle your face off worn. Not impressed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help everyone, now I need to find good quality parts without breaking the bank. I have a post up in the vendor area!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I tried a poly dog insert (Energy Sus. brand) and had to remove it in like a month, it had worn to fall right out. Rattle your face off worn. Not impressed.
I wouldn't be impressed w/ that either.^^^^ The only insert bushed dogbone that's any good is Massive's. I don't like insert bushings to begin with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts