Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 12 inch eclipse subs in a box. SW4200s: 250 watt RMS and 750 watt peak. I don't really understand subwoofers and amps. Crutchfield says these are 4 ohms... so should I look at the 4 ohm RMS on amps? What's a good and affordable amp to consider? Thanks.

I should be looking at 250 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms right?

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
theyr prolly gonna move you to the audio section.. but email crutchfield i did it with a din situation and they responded about a day later...

also check these sites..

www.onlinecarstereo.com

www.cartronixplus.com

and Frys.com

im looking to do a major overhaul on my d.d but im doing a lot of looking and buying in sections... also theres this guy in the audio thread he just did his whole svt he might help you...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok with out going all tech, yes U want a 250watt x 2 @ 4 ohm amp. If the amp is rated at 250 watt @ 2 ohms then U will only get about 125 watts. Ohms law. Now hoping not to get flamed but I had a MTX setup for 250 watts x2 for my 12" for years. Now i pulled it out of my truck and it will be going it to my FoFo soon. Its been reliable.

·
Fistpumping = 5whp
2,158 Posts
MTX makes some of the best stuff in the world IMO.

Mb Quarts use the same parts as MTX

And for the first poster. I wouldn't ask a forum for advice on Audio. I would ask a MECP certified installer. They are not salesmen for the most part and will give you straight answers.
You wouldn't trust Larry the cable guy tell you what parts you need for your car, rather than have a ASC certified mechanic tell you what you need.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
MTX makes some of the best stuff in the world IMO.

Mb Quarts use the same parts as MTX

And for the first poster. I wouldn't ask a forum for advice on Audio. I would ask a MECP certified installer. They are not salesmen for the most part and will give you straight answers.
You wouldn't trust Larry the cable guy tell you what parts you need for your car, rather than have a ASC certified mechanic tell you what you need.
well ive dealt with them in the past.. and they've help me further than expected... the only thing is i didnt buy from them it was just products i saw somewhere else and i asked them.. my d.d was scarying me given that it was a preamped system and i heard it would take a tech to do the installation, crutchfield told me that it wouldnt that there are adapters i can buy so i dont even have to worried about stripping wires.. and that the preamp wouldnt be a problem.. i myself installed a clarion cd/dvd in my car and so far no problems.. but everyone has their own experience

·
Banned
263 Posts
depends on how you wire them. dual 4 ohms usually get wired down to one ohm like so

to wire into four ohms this is the way

in this case i recommend to wire to four ohms and use this amp ( or similar)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_098CO8001/Orion-Cobalt-CO800-1.html?tp=115
now there a ton of amps that will work and everyone has their favorites. these amps are fairly new and well exceed the quality expectation for entry level prices.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For a start, get to the audio forum, there are lots of MECP guys who post there anyway. Also, if crutchfield says those subs are 4ohm, theyre prob not dual voice coil, just single 4 ohm, in which case if you wire them to the amp in parallel you show the amp 2 ohm. That means if you get a 1 x 500W rms @ 2ohm amp it'll be just right for your subs. Try the Alpine MRP M500, I have one and I love it.

·
Banned
263 Posts
i guess i just assumed dual coils. look on the back of the sub and see if there is 1 or 2 positive and negative hook ups. four total is dual coils two total is single. alpine is a great amp but a bit over priced. the cobalt is still a good choice four or 2 ohms. the cadence amp is a great choice too

·
Registered
121 Posts
My dual 4ohm subs are wired at 1.1 ohms. I would go to an installer to see what would be best for your application. You can go many routes. Find the best for the money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts