Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im kinda new to doing stuff to me car and i was just wondering what the first things people do to their engines?

it would be great if you could tell me what you did first

i drive a 2000 se sedan

thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I started learning mechanics. I started servicing my car, things like changing the oil, the oil filter, the fuel filter, the air filter, the pcv valve...

Then I had a bunch of overheating problems and I learnt things like changing the thermostat, changing the fan switches, checking relays, cleaning the radiator, flushing the system...

Then I learnt engines. Now they seem easy, but not in the beginning. I had to read and try a lot of stuff. I learnt how to change puleys, pumps, belts, tensioners, idlers, head gastkets, piston rings...

Then I learnt manual transmission stuff, I am from Spain and almost all the cars are manual there. I learnt clutch replacing, joints replacing...

In the meanwhile, I learnt a lot more stuff, like brakes functioning, A/C systems, suspension, power steering, electric stuff, ABS...

I have a lot of things to learn in these fields yet, but I have a good grasp of how a car works. It took years and a lot of effort and getting dirty. I would say one of the most difficult things to learn is how to troubleshoot a car problem, you need a lot of experience and understanding for this.

I am also interested on how everybody learnt stuff. I read an Spanish book that is not translated to English called "Manual de Automóviles de Arias Paz", I read a lot on the Internet, I asked a lot of dumb questions in forums...

I guess a lot of people here learn from their parents or other friends, I didn't have that opportunity. I would say one of the most important things is not being afraid of breaking things and if you break them fixing them will teach more things.

Are there any good mechanics books that you would recommend here? maybe dvds or videos?

I hope this helps, see you

·
Registered
368 Posts
if you're just learning I found that everytime something on my car broke, I'd go to the junk yard and tear a car apart there. Now I'm ASE certified and work for Ford doing tech service. If it worked for me it can work for you haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts