Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, first of all, here's the build i want to make

Duratec 2.0 with 2.3 head with racing cams and with Supertech Pistons (10:4)
Vortech V1 Supercharger
Aditional 4 injectors to do Charge pipe fuel cooling
AWD Ford Ecosport Gearbox

but i havent decided what ECU to use... im between Megasquirt 2 and SCT, wich one is better for this aplication? does SCT support boost control and tunning profile? does it support autotune?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im thinking about starting a youtube series about it, im using a Fiesta Mk4 as the project car... i want to make a WRC/Track car hybrid...

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
No the SCT wont do any of that

Why a 2.0 when you have a 2.3 and 2.5 to choose from ?

Where are you going to get a Vortech to work on a duratec ?

Why the 4 extra Inj when you can use 60lb , 80lb Inj and get to 350+/- WHP

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
most of those questions are answered the same, im located in south america and i can't find those parts...

the extra 4 injectors are because i don't want to run a intercooler so i'll use fuel to cool compressed intake air at least a bit

i will do a bracket mount to run it in the AC compressor holes in the block

i wanted to know if SCT supports Auto tune from Tuner Studio as other ECU's do

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
Extra 4 inj will have very little cooling effect if any

No the SCT will not support any of that

Your going down a long costly road to end up with very little TQ with only going to run 10-12psi max non intercooled , have you thought about Turbo ?

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Extra 4 inj will have very little cooling effect if any

No the SCT will not support any of that

Your going down a long costly road to end up with very little TQ with only going to run 10-12psi max non intercooled , have you thought about Turbo ?

Tom
sorry to contradict you but all the research i've done says otherwise, it is not, ofcourse, a replacement for a intercooler by any means but its a way to cool air and it would be even more effective if i run ethanol

turbo is even more expensive than supercharging so i don't even consider it...

·
Registered
53 Posts
sorry to contradict you but all the research i've done says otherwise, it is not, ofcourse, a replacement for a intercooler by any means but its a way to cool air and it would be even more effective if i run ethanol

Turbocharging can be cheaper. They both have they’re ups and downs. You can get a eBay turbo for 100$ shipped, and diy all the piping and feed lines. Would take some work but that’s a fraction of the cost of any full turbo or supercharger kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts

You have been misinformed if you feel 4 additional Inj will cool a 220-250-280+ intake air charge on say a 85 deg day it might cool it 5-10 deg where an intercooler properly sized and placed would cool the charge over 100 + deg let alone the cost of the secondary injector which is a band-aid fix for fueling let alone to cool the charge

Yes ethanol will do better then fuel but if your going to do a meth kit doing water meth is much much cheaper , easier to operate but it also has its down sides , if you run WM and dont tune for it your fine , if you tune for the WM then you have tanks that go empty , switches go bad , wires brake , pumps fail etc etc etc and then you loose an engine

Keep is simple is my best advise

Turbo is not more costly then Super Charge in any way and ALWAYS makes more TQ then a SC

Im not trying to put your ideas down just giving you advice from 20 years of boosting / tuning the Focus and other cars

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbocharging can be cheaper. They both have they’re ups and downs. You can get a eBay turbo for 100$ shipped, and diy all the piping and feed lines. Would take some work but that’s a fraction of the cost of any full turbo or supercharger kit

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
link me to said turbo..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have been misinformed if you feel 4 additional Inj will cool a 220-250-280+ intake air charge on say a 85 deg day it might cool it 5-10 deg where an intercooler properly sized and placed would cool the charge over 100 + deg let alone the cost of the secondary injector which is a band-aid fix for fueling let alone to cool the charge

Yes ethanol will do better then fuel but if your going to do a meth kit doing water meth is much much cheaper , easier to operate but it also has its down sides , if you run WM and dont tune for it your fine , if you tune for the WM then you have tanks that go empty , switches go bad , wires brake , pumps fail etc etc etc and then you loose an engine

Keep is simple is my best advise

Turbo is not more costly then Super Charge in any way and ALWAYS makes more TQ then a SC

Im not trying to put your ideas down just giving you advice from 20 years of boosting / tuning the Focus and other cars

Tom
im doing it for the instant trottle responce, Vortech V1 is well able to deliver 20 PSI and im looking into running 1 atmosphere who is arround 14-15, ill think about getting a intercooler so i can run it more safely, thank you for the advice... however i quess im stuck with Megasquirt tho...

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
turbo kit in ebay plus 400 dollars shipping to the courier who will charge me 200 something to take it to my country... no men XD its not cheaper

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
im doing it for the instant trottle responce, Vortech V1 is well able to deliver 20 PSI and im looking into running 1 atmosphere who is arround 14-15, ill think about getting a intercooler so i can run it more safely, thank you for the advice... however i quess im stuck with Megasquirt tho...

turbo kit in ebay plus 400 dollars shipping to the courier who will charge me 200 something to take it to my country... no men XD its not cheaper
The Vortech v1 isnt instant throttle response , the Vortech is psi by rpm , you wont hit peek boost till you hit peek rpm . for the instant throttle response SC you would need to do a JRSC or PowerWorks and there both not very good

I would go with SCT , it will tune your engine safely and make good power , stock engine you looking at 250 whp MAX built engine sky is the limit

SCT will be less time , less money just doesnt have the toys which really isnt needed to get the job done

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts

I would go with SCT , it will tune your engine safely and make good power , stock engine you looking at 250 whp MAX built engine sky is the limit

SCT will be less time , less money just doesnt have the toys which really isnt needed to get the job done

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Between the cams, pistons, gearbox, and ecu, you'll have quite a bit of monet tied up in this car. Trying to cut budget on the FI device seems like the wrong way to go about doing it.

If I were you I'd forgo at least the cams and put that money towards a proper intercooler.

Are you planning to run stock rods, or aftermarket ones?

It does seem like Megasquirt is going to be your best bet. Luckily its fairly affordable if you are capable of building your own.

Where are you getting your supercharger from, that it makes a budget turbo look expensive?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Between the cams, pistons, gearbox, and ecu, you'll have quite a bit of monet tied up in this car. Trying to cut budget on the FI device seems like the wrong way to go about doing it.

If I were you I'd forgo at least the cams and put that money towards a proper intercooler.

Are you planning to run stock rods, or aftermarket ones?

It does seem like Megasquirt is going to be your best bet. Luckily its fairly affordable if you are capable of building your own.

Where are you getting your supercharger from, that it makes a budget turbo look expensive?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using FF Mobile
aftermarket ones, with forged pistons, and sincerely a Vortech Supercharger isn't going to be "cutting budget" and i found a cheap used intercooler so im adding that to the build... im getting the pieces all in the same place first, and yeah i still can't decide about the ECU... Megasquirt seems easy to set up but the frigging wiring is intense... and i can't find a plug and play harness for Duratec

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
aftermarket ones, with forged pistons, and sincerely a Vortech Supercharger isn't going to be "cutting budget" and i found a cheap used intercooler so im adding that to the build... im getting the pieces all in the same place first, and yeah i still can't decide about the ECU... Megasquirt seems easy to set up but the frigging wiring is intense... and i can't find a plug and play harness for Duratec
Tuning is easy , I can remote Tune it

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts