Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys. I am due to get delivery on my focus sometime right around when I have to leave the country to go on vacation for just over three weeks. If my car isn't in before I have to leave I fear that it would arrive just after and be in their care for all that time. To me that would mean the possibility of it being shown and worse yet, test driven ( I have personally been given a sold Audi A5 to drive so we know it happens). What would be the best way to ensure the car is factory new for me when I get back. Would there be anything other than just asking them not to do anything with it at the dealer. i.e. have someone pick it up for me if i went in and did all the paperwork first.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bottom line...

Tell them the situation, advise you will not purchase the car if it has been test driven, etc. I would also make sure they know you'll contact Ford directly if that actually happens.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
That's a tough one and I think it is going to depend on your dealership. When I ordered mine back in June, they had two that were there for test drives. While ordering, I had some questions on options that were not available on either of those test drive models. Fortunately, they had one awaiting customer pickup that did have the things I was asking about so my salesguy took me out to give me a better idea of what the interior looked like/how the options worked. While walking out to the lot, my salesguy did tell me that it was a customer's order waiting pickup and I wouldn't be able to test drive it (and I didn't even ask if I could, he just told me upfront).

Again, think it would depend on your dealership. I would ask them upfront not to allow anyone to test drive it if you can't get it right away and see how they react.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I guess I have an excellent dealer / salesman. I ordered the car and they agreed, no money down, to hold the car for me for 2 weeks once it arrived on the lot (dealer is over an hour away ... logistics, etc.). My wife stopped by on a quick shopping trip and sure enough, the car was out back with a "sold" paper on the rearview mirror. A friend stopped by 2 days before I took delivery to call while viewing my new baby and tease me ... it was still out back, "sold", needing final prep for the sale.

If they won't take you on your word and hold the car for only you, I'm sure that could be achieved by putting some money down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guess I have an excellent dealer / salesman. I ordered the car and they agreed, no money down, to hold the car for me for 2 weeks once it arrived on the lot (dealer is over an hour away ... logistics, etc.). My wife stopped by on a quick shopping trip and sure enough, the car was out back with a "sold" paper on the rearview mirror. A friend stopped by 2 days before I took delivery to call while viewing my new baby and tease me ... it was still out back, "sold", needing final prep for the sale.
I have a great dealer as well. No money down, ordered, came in and they called me. Also gave assurance it wouldn't be test driven. They were interested in seeing vehicle due to their first Titanium. I actually pointed out the differences for them. Very happy with my dealer. [:)]

If you have a good dealer, you shouldn't have any issues but keep my first suggestion in mind if you are confident in the dealership. Having friends drop over isn't a bad idea either! [idea]

·
Registered
712 Posts
Will you have cell service where you are going? If so ask for a call when it comes in and when they do, politely ask for the current odometer mileage. You can be nice but they will know you are "watching" and WILL care if someone drives it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I did put down 500 bucks for the car because it had to be built for me. Not one in all Ontario the way I ordered mine he said available. So it is being built for me. As mentioned by copernicium112 though even though no test drives would be offered they still take people to a car to show them different features and leathers, access etc if they know they have it on the lot. I know it's anal but I just don't want people in my car playing around with that touch screen....pushing on it like it needs four pounds of pressure to respond etc. I like the idea of getting them to call me with the km and while brutal to the point I think that's fine...it's my car...not their demo until I get back.
Still though. Does anyone know if there would be a way (through experience) I could say go in and pay, dot some I's, cross some T's and then just have a friend go get it when it came in.
Thanks again group!
EDIT* I am going to be paying cash for the car so there is no financing mumbo jumbo if that makes a difference for actual delivery and trying to do things in advance so someone I know could get it for me

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Totally hear what you're saying, being really AR myself. The only thing I did when I went out was try the keyless entry but other than that I just poked my head in, looked around the interior, and saw but didn't touch anything. I wouldn't even sit in it out of respect for the soon-to-be owner. In that I as well wouldn't want someone doing it to my car, I didn't want to do it to someone else.

Of course that is probably the exception, not the rule. I'm sure in an effort to sell another car a salesperson would have no qualms about letting someone jam greasy fingerprints all over the screen, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You should also be able to tell whether it's been test driven or not. There should be a rail statement that says how man miles are on the ODO leaving the factory if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
712 Posts
..... Still though. Does anyone know if there would be a way (through experience) I could say go in and pay, dot some I's, cross some T's and then just have a friend go get it when it came in.
Thanks again group!
EDIT* I am going to be paying cash for the car so there is no financing mumbo jumbo if that makes a difference for actual delivery and trying to do things in advance so someone I know could get it for me
I would be hesitant about completing the tran$action until YOU inspect the car. If there is something not right (that only you might notice) it's then too late to walk away from the deal (heaven forbid[xx(] ).

When my Focus was about a week old, I took it in for a fix and the part was going to take a couple of days (when I would be out of town). I asked the service manager if he could park it in a spot out of harms way cause I did not want door dinks etc and told him how my wife's Honda got hit after a dealer oil change while parked in a tenuous location in those always cramped dealer parking lots. He told me where he would park it (next to a wall out back). Nice guy and didn't look at me weird at all. Hopefully you have a similar nice folks at your dealer. Asking for special care is a nice way of saying "If my car gets damaged, I'm gonna go ballistic on you guys."

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bigger Boat. I can't believe you had to remind me "OF MYSELF". On picking up my brand new infiniti there were scratches on the chrome, a blemish here and there. On picking up a car on my way back from my test drive I saw a chip in windshield which THEY had to replace. If I had taken either car off the lot in either case I am sure they would said that's not their problem (i.e. wear and tear). Even my best friend I dont trust enough to be as AR about the condition when I pick up as I would want him to be. I am best to leave it in the dealers hands and make the dealer responsible. Like other suggestions here, just lay it on the line...kind but firm too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Bigger Boat. I can't believe you had to remind me "OF MYSELF". On picking up my brand new infiniti there were scratches on the chrome, a blemish here and there. On picking up a car on my way back from my test drive I saw a chip in windshield which THEY had to replace. If I had taken either car off the lot in either case I am sure they would said that's not their problem (i.e. wear and tear). Even my best friend I dont trust enough to be as AR about the condition when I pick up as I would want him to be. I am best to leave it in the dealers hands and make the dealer responsible. Like other suggestions here, just lay it on the line...kind but firm too.
Good luck with the process. The way these slow lead times have worked, maybe it won't arrive until you return, but if not, I know you'll be on top of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts