Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a truck early to mid 00's full size, v8, 4x4 ext cab. What are your thoughts and opinions? What to look for, what to stay away from.

I know I am going to get a lot of biased opinions here, but please try to stay objective.

·
Banned
4,283 Posts
F150s, Chevys, or a Tacoma. Stay away from Dodge, Nissan built really cheap imo. I have a 97 v8 F150 that ive had for the past 4 years havent had any major maintenance issues other than the oil pan.

·
King of all blacks!!
2,676 Posts
Full size wise,I'd say F-150,or Silverado.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My #1 pick would be a F-150. Close 2nd would be a GM product - Chevy or GMC. If you feel that you can get by with a smaller truck, I've heard the current generation Nissan Frontier (out since '05 I believe) is well thought of....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full size wise,I'd say F-150,or Silverado.
Thats what I have it down to. Just looking for actual experience. What it more the likley will boil down to is, What ever one I find 1st that looks good Ill end up with.

·
#MattinglyBuilt
3,111 Posts
I valet park cars and i have seen EVERYTHING and driven EVERYTHING there is to offer in the US. its ford or chevy. If you ask me their the same thing these days until you get into the diesels

Full size i would say the new silverado, or f150.

If you decide to go lightweight the best option is the Chevy colorado! Great truck and has the best off road capabilities offered. They are now offering V8's in them!

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
maybe try and get a f150 with the newer body style like 2004 or something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you looking for a driver or you going to be towing stuff with it? Its a consideration. The 1/2 tons will ride smoother for ya but the 3/4 will haul better.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Really need more info.

What will be it's main usage? (towing, how much generally; etc)

We have a 2wd 2000 Chevy 1500 W/T with the 5.3.
It's towed everything I've needed it to without a hiccup. Gets an average of 20MPG, light foot (K&N gained 1MPG). We bought it used with ~40,000 miles on it, currently has 110,000. Only things we've put into it are new spark plugs, K&N, trans flush, rear end flush and routine maintenance. I do have to do the brakes here soon. Tires ware even unlike older GM's that had ball joint problems, maybe the newer 4x4's still do?

I bleed blue but honestly for the everyday truck a GM cannot be beat, best mileage out there towing or otherwise. Just stay away from the 4.8 (way underpowered for towing) and the 6.0 (total gas hog).

If it's something where towing is going to be common place, Cummins/Dodge is the only way to go.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its use is going to be a DD, Maybe some light towing if things get in a pinch. Some offroading/Mudding.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
My first choice for any pickup would be Ford. If you find a good GM, make sure it does not blow blue smoke from the tailpipe when you start it or after it has idled for a period of time and then hit the gas - this means valve seals are shot (a common problem on GMs). If you are going to buy an auto trans, get the service records before you lay down your cash, especially if the truck has more than 75,000 on it. If buying used from a dealer and no maintenance records for the trans can be located, make them do a complete service on the trans before you take delivery. I know people that have bought used trucks with auto trans in them and after about 20,000 or so miles, they have to spend mega bucks on repairing or replacing the trans (this includes all makes and models).

If you want a hauler, I would look for a Ford Super Duty with a 6.0l in it. The 04 F350 sc 4x4 would haul 3 tons of gravel with no problems (and had plenty of room for more). I think one load was around 7400 lbs and the truck was just sitting level.
My dad's 550 (same motor, trans, and cab as my 350 - bigger diffs (dana 80s front and rear), bigger breaks and bigger frame) would pull a 13,000 lbs 5th wheel camper trailer with no problems. He would have Dodges and GMs pass him pulling smaller trailers, until they hit a hill, then my dad would catch them and pass them - my dad's truck blowing clean exhaust and the others blowing black smoke.

I pulled my brother's 32ft tag along camper behind my 350 from Montana to Virginia and the only truck that would stay up with me on I-80 through Iowa was another Ford, that was running at 70mph with cruise on - everytime I hit a hill all other trucks (pulling smaller trailers) would slow down.

IMHO, if you want a truck, buy a Ford.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
If you plan on modifying at all, go with a Silverado. An F150 is better for towing, but Silverados are better from a performance stand point.

Examples:
F150 FX2 with supercharger = 15.1 1/4 mile

Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 2wd still N/A but full bolt: 14.0-14.3 1/4 mile
(Intake, exhaust, headers, shift kit in trans, re-tune)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, since you said you would be doing some offroading/mudding go with Chevy. Of course the 1500s like the Z-71 are going to have decent gear as is, but its easy to upgrade the axles and diff chunks to even go 1-ton if you wanted. A close 2nd would be the F-150 if you were wanting it to stay stock. Both are fairly easy to mod on just about every level if youre wanting to go bigger than stock, whether its the engine or running gear, in that case the junkyard is your friend. These trucks are everywhere. From personal experience, I have an 89 Jeep wrangler rock crawler where the whole supension and engine/drivetrain have been swapped to Chevy. Dana 44HD half ton front with Chromoly axles and Dana 60 14bolt rear. 350 Vortec power with Turbo 350 trans. You cant beat chevy if youre wanting to really build it up. If youre wanting Diesel that changes everything. In that case, Dodge all the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts