Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on decent after market? Looking to spend around $200. It's for 2008 2.0L. Should I just go back to stock? I found some used one's for around $90, but I'm a little leary about a used TB, when I new one isn't that much more.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The 2008 uses a drive-by-wire throttle, and I don't think there is currently any aftermarket ones. So if you have to replace yours, OEM is probably the only option.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Mine is the 2007 Dtec so it may or may not be the same im not sure. Mine is not fly by wire.

I bought a ported one from Chris Toepel (chris-13) and ill have to say its worth the $40. he wants.

I was like you, i wanted to get a higher end one made of billet and everything but what he does to it really helps alot. I didnt think just grinding out the bump would make that much difference but it did.

Im going to mod my stock one and try and improve on what he did and add a little to it.

I did this thing to my stock one where you flip the throttle plate over its called $0. thunder throttle mod. If you search that you can read how to do it. It makes the throttle very touchy but very snappy. It gives you an idea how the after market TBs will feel. Then you can put it back to stock if you dont like it. Its completly reversable.

So i know what a snappy throttle feels like. With the after markey throttle bodys they use a flat throttle plate which will give that snappy throttle feel and IMO it makes it hard to drive at times, specialy slippery road conditions.

The one Chris mods has the large opening like the after market but it also has that smooth throttle feel like the stock does. Its like the best of both but way cheaper. If that makes any sense?

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
The 2008 uses a drive-by-wire throttle, and I don't think there is currently any aftermarket ones. So if you have to replace yours, OEM is probably the only option.
^This.

What is wrong with your current throttle body?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I heard word of FF is that it only helps a little to port a stock throttle body or upgrade to an aftermarket TB. The engine only flows so much so your just easing the flow really. Heard its only really good to port or upgrade if your going forced induction. But anyways my [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] bought a 67mm TB and the response is much better. But overall power I wouldnt say was increased.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rear ended a Jeep liberty (only going about 15mph) and the spare tire carrier smashed my Radiator/air intake/and throtle body. I scary thing was this weekend I took off my intake and had a couple peices of plastic lodged on top of the valve. I got it all out with a long needle nose. I just hope none got down in the cylinder.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ahhh, I see it now. Sorry mang. Yeah it wont work with the electronic TB. You can still port it or possibly do some of the mod's with the $0 TB but i dont think you would see that much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ahhh, I see it now. Sorry mang. Yeah it wont work with the electronic TB. You can still port it or possibly do some of the mod's with the $0 TB but i dont think you would see that much of a difference.
Ive done both, the ported TB drives better. Im not sure why, looking at them both they both seem about the same. The ported TB just seems better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts