Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have two sets of SVT rims 5 spokes for winter and black euro's for summer. Well Its time to buy a set of winter tires since my current tires are summer performance and won't cut it with these harsh Michigan winters. Does anyone have a winter tire they have tried in this size that is good. Like I said I have another set of rims for summer so they don't exactly have to be an all season.

Thanks for the help,
James

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
my yokohoma A048's!!!! lol, jk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I've heard good things about blizzaks and thats what I was looking at getting just wondered if anyone had a tire they had tested that they liked better. Figured I'd let experience do the talking since I have never owned a "winter" tire. Thanks for the input jetrinka you certainly have the reputation pts. lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been running Hankook Icebear W300s on my SRT4 daily driver for ~ 3 years now (during the winter). They're excellent in the snow/ice and wear very well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have only used two kinds of snow tires. The first one I used was the Firestone Winterforce. It seemed like a good tire so I always used them instead of trying something else.

This year they didn't have my size in stock in the Winterforces. There was nothing but snow in the forecast so I decided I needed to get something right away.

I now have the Blizzak WS-60's and wow what a difference. The Blizzaks are incredible. I will never buy anything else after trying these.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Dunlop WinterSport is what I've been running. 17's will be alittle more expensive but I got mine for 16's for like $70 each. There not as much of a snow tire as like the Blizzaks are but more of an all around winter tire, they still do great in the snow though especially under braking where IMO is where you really want them to grip.

Just put them on last night for the season.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just bought the Blizzaks for my car. First set of snow tires I have ever bought. This morning was the real test. Woke up with 2" on the driveway and 1" on the roads. No problem what so ever.

I normally have a 4x4 with AT's or MT's on it but the Expedition won't fit in the parking garage at work. So the Fofo got snow shoes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know you want true winter tires, but I just put that same size on my car as a compromise between winter, summer, etc. Went with General Altimax HP. Not too expensive, decent wear rating (440 UTQG), and suppose to be quiet. Just put on an FRPP suspension and found out that they indeed are the limiting factor in cornering. [:D] What little snow and ice we've had so far this winter (it's winter already?!!), they've done well. However, if I was you, I'd do the Blizzaks, especially if you have summer wheels/tires and/or do any back roads or they don't plow for a few days like in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I like the Winterforces and General Altimax Artics because they last longer than Blizzaks and cost quite a bit less (the Generals are made by the Swedish manufacturer (Gishavled). Yes Blizzaks are a great tire. The trouble is the special tread compounds that make them so good are only in the first 50% of the tread depth. After that's gone they're more or less an all-season tire. That's an expensive 50% tread use limitation if you ask me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just ordered 4 Dunlop Graspic DS-2's from the local Belle Tire. My friend works there so I was able to get a pretty good price on them and Dunlop has a $25 mail in rebate on top of that so they won't end up being too bad. The Blizzaks are great but as a college student I don't really have the money to blow on blizzaks right now especially since I am going to be paying for next semesters classes in a few weeks. But the ratings seemed to be pretty good on these so I bought them. I will let you guys know what I think of them once I get them on the road a little bit. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Blizzaks are truly good and tenacious gripping tires when new or newer. The pro rally teams use them as a tire of choice at the Snodrift Rally in Michigan (Hakkas are well liked as well). The best teams (read those with deep pockets) will, however, use two, three and four new sets (depends on the power of the car) over just 100 stage miles as they can melt them down pretty damn quick.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha it must be nice to have sponsers and enough money to blow on everything. I know I certainly respect things more when I buy them myself, really teaches you the value of a dollar. A buddy of mine's parents pay for his college and he has failed a few classes and had to pay to retake them. Me on the other hand having to pay for classes and books myself do whatever it takes to pass the class. The nice thing is that I am getting $1500 a year and $500 room and board because of my grades. Moral of this rant: Hard work pays off

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Funny thing that in pro rally (Rally America) there are very few if any "fully" sponsored teams including Travis Pastrana and Ken Block. In fact Ken, more or less, fully sponsors himself (nice that he owns DC shoes and clothing). Pastrana spends a chunk of his own change as well. Both are terribly competitive (they're best friends and you should see how they go after each other, and as a result spend the dough needed to beat each other). I paid 100% of my own expenses like 90% of everyone else in that sport. As a result you can't do anywhere near as much as you would like. There's some prize money, but not much, and a few contingencies every now and then. Participating in Pro Rally is for bragging rights and fun. No one will make a living at it in this country.

·
You like this.
1,693 Posts
i bet i could help you out on this issue...
i have the 2004 6-spoke SVT wheels, last year bought the Blizzaks LM-25
the car still handles great b/c the low profile, and it's like a 4x4 small SUV in the snow, by all means go for it. I can't even tell they were run for a winter (approx. 3000 miles)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts