Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to find an 18" wheel I like. Currently I have a set of the saleen focus wheels (all 4 with a 40 offset) for daily driving and a set of 18x7.5 Konig crosshairs for showing. Problem is, I dont really care for the konigs, plus they are a pain to clean. I would like a simpler design, and something with a pretty deep lip. Im having alot of trouble finding anything. I would like chrome, but really anything that looks good I will consider, as long as it isnt black or gangster looking. Also I cant fit an 8" wide wheel on my car, 7.5 with an offset between 35-48 would fit without rubbing. I would appreciate any help, I figure you guys should know all the wheels available. As for price, its not a HUGE concern, but I would like to keep the price of the set under 1000 for the wheels before tires. The right wheel could go over that though. Im just tired of settling for wheels I just kinda like.

·
Registered
95 Posts
how big of a lip are you looking into? the easiest thing i would think is going with a axis wheel. with their maxxis lip design. you can get the 18x8 with the correct offset with a 3.54 inch lip. the widetrack and decade come like this, the decade's lip being a lil smaller, at 3.25 inches. the wheels can be ordered thru axis, which is located in sante fe springs, and the price is around $325 a wheel. that's if that's the look your going for. with that extreme lip size in a 8 inch wide wheel. and the offsets can be played with and ordered for the application. its a hell of a lot cheaper than getting some jlines or anything like that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only problem is I cant fit an 8" wide wheel in the rear without running a spacer and than cutting into the fender lip, which I would prefer to not do. The only wheel I have found looking myself that I actually like is made by MSR, style 85, there site says they only come in 20x7.5, but you can get that wheel in an 18"x7.5 with a 40 offset. These have a bit of a tuner look to them, but have a pretty deep lip, looks to be around 2.5-3" and an added bonus they dont have fake bolts along the edge. As far as how deep a lip I want, as long as its over 2" I would be happy, its just hard to find anything with a lip larger than an inch or so. Plus most of the pictures of wheels show a rear drive offset, and when you get it has half the lip. As was the case with my konig crosshairs. I just want to see what else is out there before I buy another set of wheels. I have already been through 3 sets, all of which I liked to some extent, but none that I liked enough to keep, its a major waste of money. Now ive got to sell ANOTHER set of perfectly good wheels because I again am not satisfied with the look. I want to know all of wheats available with a decent sized lip basically so I can make the best decision and get something I will want to keep.

·
Registered
95 Posts
consider rolling the fenders? you wont have to cut or add flares, and it will keep the existing lines of the car. would you consider going to a 17, and going with a 8 or 8 1/2 and stretching the rear tires? that way you can get a pretty big lip, and still have a lil room the play with tire wise. only drawback is you cant throw the car around the same as if the proper tire size was used. that and your tires would wear faster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the car honestly is a little to low for that, the 215/45/17's I have on my saleen wheels tuck up into the front and rear fender about 1/4". Rolling the rear fender is a possibility though. I had to do that on my 85 tempo to fit a set of 85 mustang saleen wheels under it (15x7 with a 15mm offset) Its close but they dont rub unless i downshift and nail it around a corner. For an idea of the space I have the first set of rims I had were 17x7.5" ADR DTM's with a 40mm offset, those fit perfectly. Than I went to a RSL Shinwa 18x7.5" 42 offset. That 2mm required me to get a spacer. Than I got my 18x7.5" konigs with a 45 offset, I added an 8mm spacer and have a few mm between the control bar in the back and maybe 5mm before it hits the fender lip on the other side. so I may be able to fit an 18x8 but I would need spacers since most are around a 50mm offset and would need to roll the fenders. I would really preffer just find a 7.5" wisth I like, but the idea of the staggered fitment look is something I really like. The axis mod is a pretty nice wheel to. Looks almost exactly like my old RSL shinwa just with a bigger lip. One thing that doesnt matter is rust, the car is not driven in the winter. So I really could roll the fenders. Im repainting the car when summer comes back around anyways. Do I wish we had 5 lugs, naaaa, just sounds like more work to me lol. that 4 more lug nuts to loosen and tighten.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
look into the R-1 race wheels, they have a 2.5" chrome lip.....

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
Um, why are you so caught up with needing spacers? I had a set of 18x7.5 et45s on my Focus, never had any issue. The rear could have been et50 at least before I would have had any problems (this was on a 3" drop).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never said it was for a focus, I just said it takes the same tire diameter and bolt pattern and roughly the same offset as a focus, so almost everything that will fit a focus will fit, with the exception of a few with higher offset that i need spacers for and the 8" wide wheels will not work. I measured for them yesterday, I would have to add almost a half inch spacer in the back and fender flares, and it wouldnt look right nor would it be safe with that much of a spacer. I figured since mostly all wheels that fit a focus will fit, you guys would know more wheels than I can find doing a google or an ebay search. Plus you guys would have more first hand knowledge, as in, is the lip they show in the picture REALLY what the wheel I would get is going to look like.

Basically it has to be between 7 and 7.5" wide with between a 35-48 offset to work with my car, I need an offset of 40 for it to not rub suspension with a 7.5" wheel, but with an 8mm spacer I can run up to a 48 offset wheel.

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
Ah, sorry about that...

The wheels that I had on my Focus were Konig Nexts, they had a 1.5" lip, but, more importantly, they were forged. They don't make them anymore, but if you have connections with DiscountTire you may be able to locate a set in a warehouse somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im looking at these seriously, in 18x7.5 40mm offset, havent decided if I would prefer the chrome, or the silver with polished lip. The price differnece is only 200 so it doesnt really matter, its more which will look better. They are actually pretty inexpensive to begin with. As I did with my konigs of course I will buy a 5th wheel just in case I bend one.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts