Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my used 2012 sel and I was very happy. But no navigation?! Just a huge screen for music?! Disappointing.

So after a week of having the car and doing a ton of research, I got a nav unit for $300.

This is all you need.

I do admit that I was worried about it working but figured what the heck. The unit came and I went to work. Only a few screws hold the front piece on. Take that off and remove the plugs from the back. It was a direct swap. No extra cords or anything. Took 30m max.

After...

I ran down the to ford dealer and asked them to put a card in and test it. He was nice and said sure. He grabbed one from an escape and we took a ride. It works!! It even has the directions in the dash cluster.

He wanted $150 for the a5 but I found one online for $60. The nav is awesome with the travel link stuff. Blows my Nissan out of the water.

I need to pick up a lockpick and a rear camera. Not being able to input addresses while driving is difficult when driving with my little guy. He wants to get moving asap!

Overall. For $360 I am very happy. All these discussions on adding the navigation, it's very easy.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Car Audio, SYNC, MFT & Electronics to join other threads on this subject.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I'm quite happy with my navigation on my phone and it's with me all the time in any car but still a nice upgrade and work you did there.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My previous vehicle had navigation. I found my cell to be best for short in-town needs (voice activation, etc), but liked the vehicle navigation for longer trips. Set it and it's good to go for hours. Can use my phone whatever else during the trip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got a question for you, where is the NAV SD card going? In our 2013 Escape with NAV it is in the center console, in my 2012 Ti Hatch Focus I don't think I have a SD slot off the top of my head. So this is a complete and simple plug and play swap to get NAV just by changing the screen?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is great for longer trips and using the voice to input addresses and POI is very simple. I just love how it comes up in the cluster right in front of you, no looking down.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a question for you, where is the NAV SD card going? In our 2013 Escape with NAV it is in the center console, in my 2012 Ti Hatch Focus I don't think I have a SD slot off the top of my head. So this is a complete and simple plug and play swap to get NAV just by changing the screen?
The SD slot is in the center console right next to the usb ports. If you have the TI then for sure you have one. It is not just the screen but the module under it also. You may even be able to get away with just the module but i am not sure. They mostly sell them together, mine even came with a dash piece but I just used mine that was already in the car.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I guess you already had the Ford MyTouch? And just added the NAV part? I wish I could get the bigger screen MyTouch
Yes I already had the screen but no nav. I can sell you mine if you want to try to hook it up. I wonder if it would work.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just an FYI, if you ever have to go to the dealership and get the SYNC module programmed, you'll loose navigation. So I recommend always updating yourself with the USB update from online.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The USB update packager is not currently linked to the vin but the technician method online is. The navigation application is signed to the serial number on the module which is returned from a database based on the vin. Your vin wouldn't reflect navigation in this database.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I took delivery of my used 2012 sel and I was very happy. But no navigation?! Just a huge screen for music?! Disappointing.

So after a week of having the car and doing a ton of research, I got a nav unit for $300.

This is all you need.

I do admit that I was worried about it working but figured what the heck. The unit came and I went to work. Only a few screws hold the front piece on. Take that off and remove the plugs from the back. It was a direct swap. No extra cords or anything. Took 30m max.

After...

I ran down the to ford dealer and asked them to put a card in and test it. He was nice and said sure. He grabbed one from an escape and we took a ride. It works!! It even has the directions in the dash cluster.

He wanted $150 for the a5 but I found one online for $60. The nav is awesome with the travel link stuff. Blows my Nissan out of the water.

I need to pick up a lockpick and a rear camera. Not being able to input addresses while driving is difficult when driving with my little guy. He wants to get moving asap!

Overall. For $360 I am very happy. All these discussions on adding the navigation, it's very easy.
Could you shed more light on where did you get unit from? is it from some totalled vehicle?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just an FYI, if you ever have to go to the dealership and get the SYNC module programmed, you'll loose navigation. So I recommend always updating yourself with the USB update from online.
I agree, if MFT is flashed by dealer then navigation will be lost. Do it yourself.
The other possible pit hole is if Ford decides to upgrade system and old nav maps will not be compatible (Ford did it when upgrading from 3.2 to 3.5.1, old nav cards became useless).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree, if MFT is flashed by dealer then navigation will be lost. Do it yourself.
The other possible pit hole is if Ford decides to upgrade system and old nav maps will not be compatible (Ford did it when upgrading from 3.2 to 3.5.1, old nav cards became useless).
He can always just buy the new nav SD card that goes with whatever software update is released. But since V3.5 the nav maps have been backwards compatible to A3 cards.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts