Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put the A5 SD Card in my 2012 Focus and for some reason (perhaps my imagination) it seems slower. Maybe it has more data. Maybe I should Master Reset after updating the card (but I don't want to lose precious settings).

I went to settings, system to view the version number and Map is A5, but Gracenote is 5059 (Library 5.6.2.9). This is concerning because the A4 card has a Gracenote version of 5060 (5.6.2.9). Assuming these are numbered sequentially, it would seem it went backwards.

Anyone else have the A5 card? Can you check your Gracenote version?

Other comments on the A5?

Thanks!

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I wonder what are the advantages of built-in navigation vs external unit (garmin, tom tom, magellan).

In few months it will be lacking feature vs external unit ...

What guarantee that the nav unit will continue to be updated after few years?

Just asking...

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I wonder what are the advantages of built-in navigation vs external unit (garmin, tom tom, magellan).

In few months it will be lacking feature vs external unit ...

What guarantee that the nav unit will continue to be updated after few years?

Just asking...
The primary advantage is that it's integrated into the car.

You won't have an external unit mounted to the dash or windshield saying steal me.

It also is on a larger screen which for some people makes it easier to glimpse at while driving.

I don't have navigation on my ST, but I see why some people would want it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
when i put my A5 card into my car, it said i was in Ontario (about 500mi west of me) and was really flakey. then it threw an error dialog box (that looks like windows - blue bar on top with an "X" button). i pulled over and turned the car off/opened door/turned it on again. the system rebooted and it's been mostly normal since.

a master reset is probably a good idea, or at least force a reboot.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
What is everyone paying for it? I have been told it is FREE but I doubt it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a master reset and it's acting ok now. Still wondering about the Gracenote version.

149 at dealer, 45 in eBay is what I see people paying. Some dealers give a discount.

·
Registered
297 Posts
OK folks! I might be a little behind the curve here. Is this adding navigation to an otherwise not equipped vehicle. Because I would love to add navigation to my wifes 2014 Fiesta SE. It's got the SD slot and the upgraded audio that comes with MFT. So, is this a pipe dream for me or what?

·
Registered
472 Posts
OK folks! I might be a little behind the curve here. Is this adding navigation to an otherwise not equipped vehicle. Because I would love to add navigation to my wifes 2014 Fiesta SE. It's got the SD slot and the upgraded audio that comes with MFT. So, is this a pipe dream for me or what?
Pipe dream as far as I know, its got to be enabled at the factory.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Ain't nobody paying nothing for it.

You shall soon become a believer.
Why would owners with version A4 be getting version A5 free unless there was a MFT update that required a new navigation card? Come on now, be serious.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Why would owners with version A4 be getting version A5 free unless there was a MFT update that required a new navigation card? Come on now, be serious.
That's what I asked/inferred via PM...

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Do they talk about how long they supply maps update to nav system after purchase?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Do they talk about how long they supply maps update to nav system after purchase?
Afaik they do not supply map updates for free unless there is a fundamental change to the MFT software which renders the old card useless.

Which is why people were upgraded from A3 to A4 at the time because 3.5.1 was not compatible with the A3 navigation card. However since A4 is compatible with 3.6.2 which is the latest release in North America apart from some cars built with 3.7.x which is supposed to be for Europe only at the moment and was mostly a language update to accommodate other languages.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Afaik they do not supply map updates for free unless there is a fundamental change to the MFT software which renders the old card useless.

Which is why people were upgraded from A3 to A4 at the time because 3.5.1 was not compatible with the A3 navigation card. However since A4 is compatible with 3.6.2 which is the latest release in North America apart from some cars built with 3.7.x which is supposed to be for Europe only at the moment and was mostly a language update to accommodate other languages.
How long you think paid maps will be available for the built-in nav?

If I take a look at some old gps unit like garmin street pilot which maps are no longer available (after five years).

I'm afraid if I still have the car let say in 2020 nav system will be discontinued unless they guarantee maps updates for 15 years (car life) at least.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
However since A4 is compatible with 3.6.2 which is the latest release in North America apart from some cars built with 3.7.x which is supposed to be for Europe only at the moment and was mostly a language update to accommodate other languages.
V3.7 is available at your dealer, it's only for 2014-2015 vehicles. It was available for download briefly, but since taken down. Only a few minor changes including:
•Map content for Europe and Australia/New Zealand regions
•Mute button for SYNC Navigation prompts added to Navigation map screen
•Estimated "Time of Arrival," instead of "Time to Destination" now shown on map screen

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
V3.7 is available at your dealer, it's only for 2014-2015 vehicles. It was available for download briefly, but since taken down. Only a few minor changes including:
•Map content for Europe and Australia/New Zealand regions
•Mute button for SYNC Navigation prompts added to Navigation map screen
•Estimated "Time of Arrival," instead of "Time to Destination" now shown on map screen
Which for all intents and purposes is not a valid MFT update given that MFT is supposed to be end user updateable. It is not meant for North America based on the map content updates.

Until you can download it at home for your existing 2012+ Focus it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Which for all intents and purposes is not a valid MFT update given that MFT is supposed to be end user updateable. It is not meant for North America based on the map content updates.

Until you can download it at home for your existing 2012+ Focus it doesn't really matter.
I did download at home for my 2014 Explorer.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I did download at home for my 2014 Explorer.
Again that just says that Ford is playing games here as the last official user update for the Focus is 3.6.2. We're not talking about new build 2014 cars, or non Foci here at the moment.

Besides the sync website is still only pushing 3.6

1 - 20 of 53 Posts