Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an '01 zx3 2.0L with 100k on it. Its unusually clean for its age. Anyway, my thought was to build this as a reliable, but fun daily driver (no turbo). I'm relatively new to focus, so I am looking for any ideas on how to build this motor to put out 275whp or more (if that is even possible w/o turbo). I am open to any and all thoughts. Also, how does the drivetrain hold up on zx3? Am I looking at a complete rebuild of tranny too?

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Not possible NA on these cars. Highest seen and recorded was 174whp.

With a turbo an easy way before you have to mess with drive train is roughly 210whp. An upgraded clutch is wanted for more power

Best NA bang per buck is svt header swap and full exhaust with a tune. After that tb is nice and a drop in k&n

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Didn't mention tyranny type. MTX-75 will only need a new clutch up to about 250-300hp at that point you'll probably want/need a LSD. From there you'll be good to over 500hp. With an auto tranny I wouldn't go past 180hp without a Lantec Auto Tranny. Like Slow_Solo said you are not reaching 200 w/o boost. I suggest turbo. Few places to buy kits from. User 1turbofocus on this site sells a kit as well as FSWerks. Just don't buy an ebay kit and throw it on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about compression? Mechanically, would it be better to run a higher compression, say 11.1 with turbo? I'm thinking of getting to that point and then considering boost.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
this is the highest zetec na output.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/zetec-performance-2000-2004/303290-so-whats-done-iminhells-engine.html

dyno is the last post http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/zetec-performance-2000-2004/101161-*-official-zetec-dyno-thread*-2.html

as far as boost, you'll want to get 10.2 compression pistons from somewhere and shave the head to get to the rest. tom could probably expand on from here as far as running higher compression and boost.

my guess, it is a guess, is that he'll suggest eagle rods as well... if thats the route you want to go. oh and obviously you NEED a tune. tom, fswerks and mcnews are the only tuners i know of that will touch these engines. mcnews is $$$ from what i hear

i dont know how use to turning wrenches you are, if you plan on making this a track car or whatever... but if you want to boost id suggest lower compression vs higher

·
FF Affiliate
30,628 Posts
9.2-9.6 is a good compression for boost on that engine for boost

On Avg about 165 is a good max # that you can get with out going over board in NA form to the wheels and it cost almost the same as going turbo and getting 220-240 to the wheels on the stock engine , TQ which is the most important goes from about 140 NA to 220 boosted

Tom

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^Truth.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the more power you try to put through the front wheel, the more traction you'll need.
I have LSD and it worked fairly hard on the little power I was making with 225's.
If you're looking for over 300 you'll want to keep wider wheels/tire in your budget, along with any body work required to fit them.
Also brakes will NEED to be upgraded for safety. Which should be done before you're able to go faster really.

And so long as the engine is in good mechanical condition, I wouldn't be afraid to build it even with 100,xxx miles.
Before I swapped to a lower mile block, and actually the block in the dyno, I had over 200,xxx miles. At the time of my last dyno I was around 185,xxx miles IIRC.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I had over 135k miles on my motor and I drive my car hard, before I did my rebuild.

As stated you can easily have a 200-250 whp focus with a turbo or supercharger that is a daily driver and dependable. you just wont be shopping on eBay for any of the parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts