Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to get some more low end power out of my Duratec but I don't have the money or time for a turbo set up... yet. So the question is, what simple and relatively cheap mods can i do to boost low end torque for a daily driver? I don't want to do any engine swaps (I know the 23 would be better for this but I don't have the money or motivation for that).

This is what I was thinking:

Stage 1:

FSWerks Cool Flo Intake (green filter)
FSWerks Stealth Exhaust
Bosch 42lb injectors
SCT X4 Programmer (and tunes from Tom?)

Stage 2:

Crower Stage 1 cams
Wiseco 12:1 Pistons

Will all these mods eventually add up to more low end? Will they all work well together with minimal "messing around"?

I wanted to be able to add things as I can afford them and obviously tune after any significant additions.

Any help, comments and opinions are greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Stage 1 - just forget the injectors. Rest looks good.

Stage 2 - maybe a stage 2 cam to start?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
12-1 in that engine isnt going to be very pump gas friendly

Have you thought about using the 2.5 short block with the 2.3 head , use stg1-2 cams compression to about 10-1 ?

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stage 1 - just forget the injectors. Rest looks good.

Stage 2 - maybe a stage 2 cam to start?
The Crower Stage 2 cams say they are for forced induction applications, will they work for an N/A application?

12-1 in that engine isnt going to be very pump gas friendly

Have you thought about using the 2.5 short block with the 2.3 head , use stg1-2 cams compression to about 10-1 ?

Tom
I have looked into all the engine/head swaps and I just don't want to get into all that, I'm not looking for huge gains just something noticeable. Any tips other than swaps?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The Crower Stage 2 cams say they are for forced induction applications, will they work for an N/A application?

>>>Have you checked out cranes #224-0012 cams? 0010's would wake up your 20, for a great dder.

I have looked into all the engine/head swaps and I just don't want to get into all that, I'm not looking for huge gains just something noticeable. Any tips other than swaps?
If your looking a pistons to swapout, whats wrong w/ swapping a 23 motor? A 23 or 25 your going to notice grunt over the 20.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your looking a pistons to swapout, whats wrong w/ swapping a 23 motor? A 23 or 25 your going to notice grunt over the 20.
Actually, looking at Cranes website, those 224-0010 cams look like they might be what I'm looking for. The 0020's might be a bit much since they recommend intake manifold and exhaust headers and I'm not looking to go that far

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Actually, looking at Cranes website, those 224-0010 cams look like they might be what I'm looking for. The 0020's might be a bit much since they recommend intake manifold and exhaust headers and I'm not looking to go that far
Those are what I run in a 23. The spec's look small compared to what I'm used to looking at(v/8's) but they are a noticeble improvement. Like 32a boobies to 34c's.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I just realized that the 224-0010 cams are for 02-05 Duratec 20, will they still work in my 2009?
Yea, they should. Unplug the cam sensor & start it up & drive it to see how it runs.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I feel like this is a dumb question, but do you mean unplug the cam sensor now with my stock cams to see how it runs or if/when I get the Crane cams?
See how it runs now. IDK why they want to read the int cam for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so what I've learned is to go with:

CAI from FSWerks
Stealth Exhaust from FSWerks
SCT X4 Programmer
and either Crane 224-0010 cams if they will work or Crower Stage 1 cams

Does this sound like a plan? Can I do the CAI and exhaust without the tune for a while until I get the Programmer and cams or should I get the programmer and tune for the intake and exhaust then just re-tune with the cams?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well unless you want a check engine light I wouldn't advise getting cams without the sensor ring. Crower makes cams for 08-11 with the ring, might as well get the correct ones. The computer uses the cam sensor readings to fine tune the fuel delivery, it will run without it hooked up for sure, but why would u want that?. Also it uses the cam sensor to detect a sync error with the ckp indicating that the timing chain jumped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well unless you want a check engine light I wouldn't advise getting cams without the sensor ring. Crower makes cams for 08-11 with the ring, might as well get the correct ones. The computer uses the cam sensor readings to fine tune the fuel delivery, it will run without it hooked up for sure, but why would u want that?. Also it uses the cam sensor to detect a sync error with the ckp indicating that the timing chain jumped.
And that's why I wanted to be sure before I actually bought anything. I figured the Crane cams would work but its a safer bet to use the ones actually made for the timing sensor

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
A tune w/ the rear o2 sensor & egr delete= why not add a header & egr delete plate?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
What kind of gains are you wanting to see from the mods you have listed ?

CAI from FSWerks
SCT X4 Programmer

Why not do the 20 short block and 2.3 head ? I dont see header in your list ?

Tom

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
What kind of gains are you wanting to see from the mods you have listed ?

CAI from FSWerks
SCT X4 Programmer

Tom
Thats what I figured to. I mentioned= Why not a 23 motor? Mentioned a header, egr & rear 02 sensor delete also w/ the tune. Seems like hes looking for the basic bolt on's. Yea to me a motor swap is a bolt on.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Me to , with the options of the 2.3 or 2.5 vs the 2.0 all about the same to build hands down I would do the 2.5 , 2.3 head , cams , header , cosi knock off , tune

Tom

·
Registered
91 Posts
The OP is looking to improve low end torque on his engine...As far as I am aware, that is the main reason that the Ranger 2.3L got the 2.0L Focus head rather than the 2.3L Focus head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts