Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I'm new to the forum and done a little work on my tdci focus in the last week so thought I'd introduce myself....
My previous car was a fairly tidy bmw e46 318ci, I grew bored of it though after having it for 18 months so I sold it with the plan of having no car for a while but I couldn't hack it and my friend was selling a focus tdci 115hp on 123k miles with terrible bodywork and no service history. Sounds awful but I thought I'd take it for a test drive anyway, the only mechanical fault as far as I could tell was a sticky caliper apart from that the engine was as sweet as a nut so I took it home for the total sum of £450.
This is how it looked when I bought it

It doesn't look that bad from that photo but it's the best I have of it standard. It had matching nasty dents on both rear corners, rusty sills and arches, a welded door where a lorry had reversed into it and slow punctures on the front tyres.

So, I priced up 4 new tyres and I couldn't justify spending it on tyres for crappy standard wheels so after a scan on eBay I found these fairly rare flat faced 16"compomotives with 4 brand new tyres two of which are toyo proxes for £350.. Close to the price of the car but hey I liked them a lot!

You can see the welded door on that picture. The car came with a 2nd hand door, 2 wing mirrors and a brand new front bumper. Unfortunately the door was actually from a 5 door, upon discovering this we took our frustration out on it and had a little fun driving over it and into it etc with my friends beat up micra...

Then because the bodywork was so bad.. There was no way I was
Going to attempt or pay to have it all fixed as it just was not justifiable, instead I bought a gallon of nato green paint then the work began.... Sanding it down, grinding the rusty arches back and the rusty sills

Also sourced a 2nd hand door pretty cheap from the scrappys. After a couple of days of sanding the painting began...

Then this is the final product (I don't actually have any good pictures yet)

In my opinion not a bad finish for a roller painted car in a dusty garage done in around 4 days.

It's a £450 car with £350 wheels and a £40 paint job and now I'm actually really starting to like it! While it was in the garage my friends being car nuts decided to chop the centre box out and weld a straight pipe and also fir an induction kit to it all for free and now t sounds mad! It whistles a little and on 4th and 5th gear it chatters when I let off which is so addictive!
I wasn't planning on spending money on it but I'm quite enjoying how different it is and I've had lots of positive comments so far so I have a few additions to add to it soon which I will keep you updated on. It's not a serious show car it's just a bit of fun we're going to attach mad ideas to for the hell of it!

All the work so far is I've fitted a new caliper, new front pads and discs, a bearing, a tie rod and had the timing belt done seeing as it has no arrive history. Anyway it won't be to everyone's taste but let me know what you guys think and throw any cool ideas at me!

Thanks for reading!

Oz

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Like it!

You're having fun & making a useful & enjoyable car from one soon for the scrappers in average use.

Excellent!

Welcome to FF

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NATO Green MkI

Still new to the forum so I hope this is the right place to put this. Picked up some budget fk ak coilovers today and fitted them. This is how it now sits with them wound all the way down and helpers still in. The backs a little high still but I think the front is perfect for me so tomorrow the adjusting rings will come off the back

No good photos yet but I will update with some more for sure. Here's the ony one I have so far!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved this one to the builds & showroom section, figured it was the start of a "build" thread

Saw this one in your "hello" post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks great man! Been trying to scrape together for coilovers for a while. But it's just not in the books haha.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
£160 brand new, FK AK streets and so far I can't fault them! And thanks for the positive comments guys! :) I love how much I've transformed it and how it looks now

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Welcome to the party!

Btw, try this stuff called PlastiDip for your next paint project. Works really well, and it's super easy and cheap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys! I still need to get some decent pictures though. I just took that one waiting on my mate I was picking up

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also on a side note, I have 205/40/16's all round proxes on the front and acceleras on the back and with the coilovers.. My god does it grip!!

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mirrors going gloss black tomorrow hopefully. Thought the arctic camo would go well with the kinda army theme paint and the white wheels but they look gash!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks :) back is a little bit too high still though. Will sort it In time but staying this height for now as I'll need to catch a ferry in a few days haha

1 - 20 of 36 Posts