Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when i first got the car, i swear to god it had the original 59K mile coolant still. Either that or it was replaced with straight up water.

Since then i have replaced the overflow tank with an 05-07 unit (and flushed the system) and it dawned on me that my new degas cover doesnt fit it properly. That and the caps dont seem to interchange very well (hard to tighten the original cap on the new tank).

So i want to put back my old tank to fit the cover properly, but i cant get that nasty brown shit build up in teh tank out. I tried degreaser but it doesnt seem to get out unless i scrub it with something. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Also take a pressure washer to up with some strong solvent. Or try some brake clean and see if that works

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^^Brake clean and plastic is a bad idea.

Pool cleaner will work great.

·
Registered
457 Posts
what about just using dawn concentrated soap...

we would all like to think that degreasers are more powerfull, but dawn may work some wonders...who knows

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
^^Brake clean and plastic is a bad idea.

Pool cleaner will work great.
Brake cleaner would be fine as long as you're not soaking the plastic piece in it. Try some castrol super clean that stuff seems to work very well too. So well that I don't use it to degrease engines anymore once I saw someone not dillute it enough and got it on there ceramic coated headers and it ate some of the finish off.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brake cleaner would be fine as long as you're not soaking the plastic piece in it. Try some castrol super clean that stuff seems to work very well too. So well that I don't use it to degrease engines anymore once I saw someone not dillute it enough and got it on there ceramic coated headers and it ate some of the finish off.
Actually i did use super clean. im gonna give it one more try though. if that wont work, ill try the pool cleaner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts