Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
How did you go about tying the clutch master into the slave.?
CFM has a performance hydraulic clutch line for the 2000-2007 Focus (https://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/CFM-Performance-Hydraulic-Clutch-Line-for-2000-2007-Focus-Zetec-Duratec-Exc-SVT-p282.htm) and a separate one for the SVT. It has the correct connector for the slave cylinder end and the line is -3 AN which can be adapted to fit the -3 output of the Tilton master. There are also fittings available from other sources that fit the Ford slave end with provisions to attach a -3 AN fitting and line.

Pappy

·
Thats What She Said
10,662 Posts
Did not know they made one for the stock MTX-75. Thanks for providing a link.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Got most of the rear suspension in. The MKIII ST trailing arms and all of the links went in without a hitch. I used Massive's upper camber link and toe link. With only minor modification the MKIII FsWerks sway bar fit the MKI cradle. Karl at Massive is building me a stronger pair of sway bar links. I used slugs on the lower control arm and the inboard end of the toe link so I could adjust the roll center. I did have to raise the shock upper mount to make sure the shock would not bottom with full compression.

Pappy

Focus MKIII rear 1.jpg

Focus MKIII rear 2.jpg

Focus MKIII rear 3.jpg

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Got most of the rear suspension in. The MKIII ST trailing arms and all of the links went in without a hitch. I used Massive's upper camber link and toe link. With only minor modification the MKIII FsWerks fit the MKI cradle. Karl at Massive is building me a stronger pair of sway bar links. I used slugs on the lower control arm and the inboard end of the toe link so I could adjust the roll center. I did have to raise the shock upper mount to make sure the shock would not bottom with full compression.

Pappy

View attachment 244553

View attachment 244561

View attachment 244569
What is the advantage of the Mk3 trailing arm?

Rich

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
What is the advantage of the Mk3 trailing arm?

Rich
Hey Rich,

The MKIII trailing arm has a cast knuckle that supports the bigger MKIII bearings and 5 lug hubs. It also has a provision for the MKIII sway bar that is more efficient due to its outboard mounting point. I also noticed they relocated the lower arm pick-up point which should raise the roll center - something it needed.

Pappy

·
Thats What She Said
10,662 Posts
So if you did not go with the different Sway bar links, you could stay with the Mk1 Sway bar or go with a MK3. This a "drop in" using all the same mounting points? Do the camber and toe arms have to be used? Wounding if I have a problem with my rear set up what upgrade options and costs there are for it.

Use the MK3 rear brakes I am guessing? You removed the parking brake stuff so just need to modify the rear brake lines?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
So if you did not go with the different Sway bar links, you could stay with the Mk1 Sway bar or go with a MK3. This a "drop in" using all the same mounting points? Do the camber and toe arms have to be used? Wounding if I have a problem with my rear set up what upgrade options and costs there are for it.

Use the MK3 rear brakes I am guessing? You removed the parking brake stuff so just need to modify the rear brake lines?
Yes, you could use either sway bar. The MKIII has washers welded to center the bar between the bushings that are about .25 inch per side too wide - I moved the washers, but you could slot the bushing brackets to make it fit. I used the MKI camber and toe links - they are the same as the MKIII pieces as far as length and mounting points are concerned. For the trailing arms, knuckles, hubs/bearings, and bolts I used all new Ford stuff. It wasn't really very expensive.

I will use MKIII RS brakes with StopTech slotted rotors. It will require custom brake lines because I am going from a male -3AN fitting on the end of the hard lines to the caliper. The stock Ford stuff uses a bubble flare on one end.

Pappy

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Michael,

Thanks. How are your race cars coming along? I removed all of the parking brake components.

Pappy
Rear suspension upgrades with massive pieces in this weekend, and rear parking brake stuff coming off. The new motor and all the little stuff placed on their proper locations, trans attached and all waiting to go back in as a complete assembly. Hope this weekend for completion and possible start up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Motor assembly is in and we got oil pressure, lots of good gauge info. Like oil pressure, great water temp, good oil temp. This motor is special as we are trying lots of new stuff allowed within our rules, cams, rods, header, new gearbox with a custom diff, 4:06 final, new 1st and 5 th gears. New rear suspension, new rear bar, new springs, new steering rack. Oh yeah we race in two weeks, where did the winter go!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Motor assembly is in and we got oil pressure, lots of good gauge info. Like oil pressure, great water temp, good oil temp. This motor is special as we are trying lots of new stuff allowed within our rules, cams, rods, header, new gearbox with a custom diff, 4:06 final, new 1st and 5 th gears. New rear suspension, new rear bar, new springs, new steering rack. Oh yeah we race in two weeks, where did the winter go!
Can't wait to see how it all works. Keep us posted.

Pappy

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Pappy, do you have an estimate of how much weight the Mk3 suspension, knuckles and hubs has added? I think the front knuckle alone adds 6 lbs (18 vs 12 for the Mk1). I know that lightweight parts that don't finish the race don't make you faster, just curious if you tallied the total impact.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Pappy, do you have an estimate of how much weight the Mk3 suspension, knuckles and hubs has added? I think the front knuckle alone adds 6 lbs (18 vs 12 for the Mk1). I know that lightweight parts that don't finish the race don't make you faster, just curious if you tallied the total impact.
I haven't weighed all the parts yet, but it has added some weight, some of it unsprung. I will weigh the components during final assembly and let you know.

Pappy

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
81 - 100 of 104 Posts