Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Progress update. Tilton master cylinders installed and stainless steel hard lines in the process of being installed. Three inch stainless steel exhaust under construction. Moving to the rear with MKIII 5-lug hubs and the trailing arms to accommodate them. Still lots of work to do!

Pappy

Focus Tilton MCs.jpg

Focus Rear Suspension 2.jpg

Focus Rear Suspension 3.jpg

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Not to restart the harmonic balancer/damper debate back up, but has anyone tried this Dayco harmonic damper that is also a 25% UDP? It looks to be the exact same size as the Massive crank UDP.

PBU1155SS25

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Why not start your own thread about it vs here on Viper 00 's build?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why not start your own thread about it vs here on Viper 00 's build?
Was trying to contribute to the lengthy crank UDP discussion from a couple posts ago, but was late to the game. Looking at my poorly written post, it looks like a turd in the punch bowl. My apologies. I enjoy reading this thread and instead of Viper 00 having to choose between either a UDP or harmonic damper, the Dayco crank UDP could provide the best of both worlds. I have not used it myself, but wasn't sure if someone else had any experience using it.

Viper 00-thanks for all the great info in your thread.

Ron

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Was trying to contribute to the lengthy crank UDP discussion from a couple posts ago, but was late to the game. Looking at my poorly written post, it looks like a turd in the punch bowl. My apologies. I enjoy reading this thread and instead of Viper 00 having to choose between either a UDP or harmonic damper, the Dayco crank UDP could provide the best of both worlds. I have not used it myself, but wasn't sure if someone else had any experience using it.

Ron
Thanks Ron,

I ordered one of the Dayco units today to take a look. You were correct regarding the size - I measured the Massive pulley at 3.971 inches.

Pappy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

Ron
Ron,

I got the balancer and it looks like a quality piece - made in Australia and has an SFI certification. Thanks for the find!

Pappy

Focus Underdrive Balancer 1.jpg

Focus Underdrive Balancer 2.jpg

·
Registered
392 Posts
The build looks great! Quick question Santa brought me a Tilton pedal box as well, curious if you would share the bore sizes you chose to run the front and back circuits. Also how do you like the Tilton 3 bay reservoir, that the piece I plan on installing as well.
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The build looks great! Quick question Santa brought me a Tilton pedal box as well, curious if you would share the bore sizes you chose to run the front and back circuits. Also how do you like the Tilton 3 bay reservoir, that the piece I plan on installing as well.
Cheers
Chris
Hey Chris,

Tilton has a service where you can tell them a few things like piston bore size, vehicle weight, tire sizes, etc. and they will compute the bore sizes. I used the bores from the AP Racing brake set-up (43MM) and stock Focus RS rears and they came up with .7 inch for both front and rear MCs. I cut a stock clutch master cylinder apart and it was .75 inch, so that's what I used for the clutch. I like the Tilton reservoir, but make sure you think through the plumbing. It comes with either barbs for push on hose or -4AN ends. The 76 series Tilton MCs use a -4 fitting, but the 75 series come with a nylon cap and 5/16 barb fitting. You need to get the right reservoir for your MCs.

Pappy

·
Registered
392 Posts
Summit list the 76 series masters as a 3 a/n port. Is that the actual size or is it a 4 a/n Seems odd if the reservoir is a 4 a/n
Thnaks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Summit list the 76 series masters as a 3 a/n port. Is that the actual size or is it a 4 a/n Seems odd if the reservoir is a 4 a/n
Thnaks
The pressure ports (for the brake lines) are -3, but the reservoir input to the MC is a -4 (7/16X20), as are the fittings on the Tilton reservoir. I used -3 Banjo fittings for the brake lines, but I had trouble with a -4 Banjo fitting for the input - basically the mounting boss for the input was too wide for a standard Banjo fitting so I couldn't screw the AN hose on the Banjo fitting without hitting the MC. I could not find a 7/16X20 to a -4 AN "long" Banjo fitting that would solve the problem. I had to machine a small clearance slot in the top of the MC to get enough clearance. It would not be a problem if you used a straight fitting (rather than the Banjo) on the top of the MC.

Pappy

·
Registered
6 Posts
You would have to find a way to use the MkIII outer end of the CV joint with the inner, axle shaft portion from the MkI. I haven't taken the CV joints apart to see if that is possible. I lengthened my LCAs to compensate for the longer MkIII axles, which helped geometry for track use - but probably not practical for a dd. For brakes, I will use the Ford RS Brembo package, which requires a bigger diameter wheel. Some 18s will clear the Brembo calipers. StopTech has a nice set-up, but plenty pricy.

Pappy
I think I might have it solved, swap the engine from an ST and just see how much of the car fits up front, lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Progress update: Exhaust almost finished. Photos show the new 3" exhaust comparted to the 2.25". Rear MKI cradle modified with adjustable roll center. New MKIII trailing arms and sway bar going in today. Brakes and wheels to follow, then I will finish hooking up the new motor and fire it up. Getting closer to getting back on track - slowly.

Pappy

Focus Update 11 1.jpg

Focus Update 11 4.jpg

Focus Update 11 5.jpg

Focus Update 11 7.jpg

Focus Update 11 8.jpg

·
Registered
369 Posts
As always your racecar prep looks more like show car prep. :). Question as we are working on the race car this weekend was wondering if you are using or keeping the parking brake feature. It's was nice to put fast heat into the rear with a slight drag on the out laps but looking at all the extra that is there now questioning should I keep it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
As always your racecar prep looks more like show car prep. :). Question as we are working on the race car this weekend was wondering if you are using or keeping the parking brake feature. It's was nice to put fast heat into the rear with a slight drag on the out laps but looking at all the extra that is there now questioning should I keep it.
Hey Michael,

Thanks. How are your race cars coming along? I removed all of the parking brake components.

Pappy

·
Registered
392 Posts
How did you go about tying the clutch master into the slave.?

61 - 80 of 104 Posts