Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine all the narrow-bang gauges wire like mine (Equus). You pick up the voltage signal off the wiring from the O2 sensor(s) to the PCM. You could do it under the hood, or at the PCM inside the car.

That's the problem......My '06 Ford wiring manual shows the wires from #1 and #2 O2 sensor being WH/BU and WH/GN. (these are the harness colors, not the sensor colors). I got this off page 23-6 in the manual.

I found the WH/BU wire under the hood by the O2 plug, but the other O2 has only a WH wire. So this manual is suspect. I'd meter the wires with the car running, but I'd burn the Hell out of my arm.

Looks like tapping into the wiring would be easier at the PCM.... Has anybody done it this way, and does anyone know the correct 02 signal wire color? Don't want to screw up here.....

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
why do you want a narrow band? just curious...widebands are where its at

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This gauge monitors the operation of both 02 sensors.....by a series of 10x2 LEDs, each LED registering .1V. So....if you know what you're looking at, you can monitor the O2 operation, and the A/F operation. What else are you interested in?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Typically there are:

2 White wires
1 Black Wire
1 Grey wire

Usually the two same colored wires are for the heater supply voltage and heater ground.
Then black is the ground (return to PCM), and the Grey is usually 12V supply to the O2 sensor.

That is a typical setup, Most newer vehicles use 4 wires. Some use 3. Older vehicles use 2 or 1 depending on the make and model. You just have to find out which color is the output back to the PCM.

Personally the Narrowband is just a light show. Some Narrowbands you can adapt Innovative's LC-1 to display the wideband on a Narrowband Gauge like Autometer.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
they typically only work when under WOT, maybe...I like the wideband because it monitors at all times

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^^Humm. The light show is like looking at a vom attached to the O2 output. It goes from zero to 1.0 volts depending on throttle position, temperature, etc. I find nothing wrong with analyzing the O2 operation using such a setup.

I'm interested in figuring out what's the deal with this wiring manual....and which wire gives the voltage output, without cutting up the harness more than necessary..

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
thats true, it does do that...however if you're looking for a reliable constant AFR reading, a narrowband will not offer that.

sounds like you have exactly what you're looking for

/threadjack

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Go AEM wideband. I made the mistake of putting a narrowband on my car. The narrowband works awsome for the old cars like old muscle cars.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^^^Too late.....my Equus gauge is installed already. I wired up O2 sensor #2 (blue plug). I tapped into the WT/BL harness wire under the hood (not easy). But it was the right wire, as I metered the output before hooking it to the gauge. It's working ok....now to figure out which is the right wire for #1 O2 sensor.

What's this big deal about a wide-band meter? They cost 4x as much, and require welding on the manifold, and/or the elimination of the cat monitor sensor. What sort of benefit would you get for the extra money?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
a gauge that actually knows what its monitoring, basically a narrowband is made to work with all o2 sensors, so it cant really give you a fully accurate reading, wheres a wideband, has its own o2 sensor, so it can tell you exactly.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
most companies supply a "bung" inside the packagingso you can weld an extra bung, or if you have a tune, you can do what i did, and just remove the rear o2 sensor completely, and just secure the wideband sensor into that spot.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still not convinced the typical wide-band has any more accuracy than this Equus. It's taking voltage readings directly off both O2 sensors, and telling you what each is doing. By watching the voltage, you can tell when the system goes from open loop to closed loop as it's warming up. And when cruising down the road with a steady throttle you can tell if the system is running normal. When you come to a stop after warm-up, you can see the mixture lean out.

After seeing how the system acts for a while, you'll be able to notice any unusual O2 readings, and investigate further. For the price difference, I'm sticking with this narrow-band. So far it's doing it's job well.....

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Well if you upgrade your exhaust header to one like F2s it has three holes for sensors. The Wideband sensor would go in there. Also mostly all you get from narrowband A/F gauges is a light show. Plus it doesn't even give you the number for your air/fuel which is very handy in tuning.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
well most narrowbands just have 1 wire that hooks to one wire on the o2 sensor... but it seems the Equus gauge is somewhat between the wideband and narrowband gauges...

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
my cossie header only had one sensor spot so i had the supplied bung welded on at a local muffler shop for $20

AEM wideband is the way to go

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
those are fine too... ballers use the AEM widebands... lol i plan on balling with an AEM in the near future.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
^^^man speaks the truf

I just gotta mount mine.

bluefront got any pictures of your gauge mounted?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts