• Other--say what you feel is better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So which is better for the Duratec, NA tune or FI (forced induction)? Sure it's probably cheaper to just add a turbo/supercharger but which is a better path, but I'm going to assume its a "cheap" way to get power. But I don't know anything about the Duratec yet so I'm just after as much information as one can provide.

I'm not looking to build a drag car, I'm looking just to have a quick car that will give stock SS Camaros and WS6 Trans-Ams a run for their money. [thumb]

·
Registered
930 Posts
To get one normally, it would have to be FI.

I'm going the NA + nitrous way, which is actually cheaper and more bang/$$ than either route...just isn't there all the time, which is good, cause I don't need extra wear and tear on a 10:1 turbo engine and I also like to have better gas mileage. Full NA mods that I am going to do (basically what I have + cams) I'll still get over 30mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
focusedintentions said:
Only way you're gonna run with TA's and SS's is with forced induction...at least affordably.
How much PSI can a stock 2.0l Duratec take? I've got an old Saab 9psi turbo I ripped off of a 2.3l Saab engine I was going use to build an "SVO" Mustang about 5 years ago.

*Edit*
Nevermind I found this info out. It's 7psi. Hmmm...

·
FF Affiliate
30,885 Posts
netdrgoon said:
To get one normally, it would have to be FI.

I'm going the NA + nitrous way, which is actually cheaper and more bang/$$ than either route...just isn't there all the time, which is good, cause I don't need extra wear and tear on a 10:1 turbo engine and I also like to have better gas mileage. Full NA mods that I am going to do (basically what I have + cams) I'll still get over 30mpg on the highway.
Beleive it or not a turbo engine drove the same as a NA engine will get better MPG

A FI engine isnt seeing boost all the time either so it isnt seeing extra wear and tear , turbo engines in most cases last longer than NA Nitrous engines

Tom

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
A turbo setup would be more affordable than building a complete high hp n/a motor...and you get more hp too....and unless you are running a direct injection or a wet setup system....well it's just not the best idea for reliability and long engine life......

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
JCE_05-ZX5 said:

I'm not looking to build a drag car, I'm looking just to have a quick car that will give stock SS Camaros and WS6 Trans-Ams a run for their money. [thumb]

are u serious! my friends 04 gt with xpipe, tune, intake, 4:10 gears and tires barley gives those a run for there money. when there stock at least the WS6. most the time its a drives race but come one you can boost your foci all you want but unless your tom i think the WS6 is a little out fo your way. but who knows maybe every WS6 that ive raced the driver just sucked aballs all the time. but i doubt it.

just go NA. i say that because if i had a choice 300hp NA or 300 FI im going NA

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I guess I should mention that I hate NOS and I would never put it on a car of mine. I should of said that in my poll NA tune with no NOS vs FI. Sorry for the confusion. [:(]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Re: Re: NA tune vs FI

cruzstyle said:
are u serious! my friends 04 gt with xpipe, tune, intake, 4:10 gears and tires barley gives those a run for there money. when there stock at least the WS6. most the time its a drives race but come one you can boost your foci all you want but unless your tom i think the WS6 is a little out fo your way. but who knows maybe every WS6 that ive raced the driver just sucked aballs all the time. but i doubt it.

just go NA. i say that because if i had a choice 300hp NA or 300 FI im going NA

It's all about power to weight ratio....them gm's are big heavy cars....and good luck building a 300hp na 4 cyl motor that's usable on the street...i mean a $20k cosworth motor that's n/a is only good for about 250 bhp or less!.....meanwhile.....3k s/c is good for about 260-70 bhp.....yeah it'd be fun to have a n/a motor with that kind of power...but unless you got bookooos of money laying around....FI is the way to go for the street...also with FI you gain usable torque down low!

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
why not nitrous? with a built stroker bottom end (2.4l) crane cams and decked head and cosi level 1 and 150 shot of nitrous...as long as you tune it..which is the case with anything. The engine can take it...just the route i would go on YALLS motors..on my motor if i really cared about modding that much i would go fi but not on a duratec..more na options

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one thing I can't seem to find is an accurate bhp gain list for certain NA mods. Maybe someone here can answer my question. If it's going to cost several thousand dollars to make my Focus keep up with TA's and SS' then I'm not even going to bother modding the drivetrain.

Gains from:
cheap catback exhaust (by cheap I mean custom piping and a basic higher flo than stock muffler)
header
beefier injectors
beefier pullies/belts
ECU performance chip
intake manifold
throttle body (or port the OEM one?)

If it is going to cost more than a total of $4k to get what I desire I'd rather just buy another used 200SX SE-R with the SR20DE in it like I had before I bought my ZX5 and mod it instead.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Short of a major major build up, NA there is no way you would run with an LS1 car. Ever.

FI is the only way you could do it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'd say any turbo or procharged SVT or any turbo foci could keep up and beat them stocker v8's just b/c of the power/weight ratio's would be good....them monsters weigh several tons!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well just look at the facts on paper.....a good turbo set up on that duratec should get him at least 250 whp....a stock SS camaro puts down lets say about 290-5 whp......focus weighs about 2700.....SS at least another 1000 lbs.........the focus has the power to weight advantage...there's no reason it shouldn't beat the SS...unless they are racing to top speed...in which case the focus just isnt geared to get that high.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
cruzstyle said:
how many foci (4 bangers) have u seen that can even stand a chance against any of te v-8 monsters? i know of 3 toms, hypno, and......ok 2, 2 foci
You dont get out much do you.......

A forced induction car running the SAME horsepower as a NA car will out run the it. Forced induction engines rev faster than NA engines...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts