Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1414 Posts

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yea, all of a sudden they start developing performance parts for the NA. 'Bout damn time! [cheers]
It's a miracle that this is happening, I've never seen a platform so obsessed with aftermarket headlights and hardly anything performance related!

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I also feel it will have to be tuned

Tom
Of course you do! [:p] I agree, I have had to get tuning done with all my intake manifolds. What did you have to do to get Sedans motor running properly with his?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Oh crap.... so after I install the TTR I likely will need to datalog right away? (unless it runs better for some reason).
Let's not jump the gun here... let's see how it goes first. I will say on the cavaliers, ecotecs, Turbo charged ecotec and focus ST, None Require a tune for it to be used...

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Let's not jump the gun here... let's see how it goes first. I will say on the cavaliers, ecotecs, Turbo charged ecotec and focus ST, None Require a tune for it to be used...
Oh for sure, but I need to be prepared for anything as it's my daily driver so I would likely make sure I had a weekend to install and tune if needed.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
It's a miracle that this is happening, I've never seen a platform so obsessed with aftermarket headlights and hardly anything performance related!
The Hondas with lesser loved motors have all the issues you just mentioned

·
FF Affiliate
30,630 Posts
Were they put on a dyno and the air fuel checked and the timing watched , datalogged

It doesnt make sense they didnt need tuning , If the intake in fact adds HP/TQ then its making the engine more efficient which changes how the fueling and timing needs are

Especially with boost involved , if it makes more HP/TQ at the same boost then timing and fueling among other things would need to be addressed

If the intake doesnt make any more HP/TQ and its more for looks then sure I could see no tuning needed

Tom

·
Registered
114 Posts
This will be a nice addition to someone's build. Complete ihe setup. Intake manifold, aftermarket filter, header, good catback system and tune then someone should be at 200 HP N/A!

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Gotta agree with Tom.

There's a limit to the current built in adjustability, and less than optimum in that regard isn't great.

You can't get power changes without fueling changes - it's that simple. More air in for more power requires more fuel to match.

Seen 'performance' items before that didn't require tuning - no performance increase. Anything that DID make a difference to anything but sound required re-tuning to work right.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Gotta agree with Tom.

There's a limit to the current built in adjustability, and less than optimum in that regard isn't great.

You can't get power changes without fueling changes - it's that simple. More air in for more power requires more fuel to match.

Seen 'performance' items before that didn't require tuning - no performance increase. Anything that DID make a difference to anything but sound required re-tuning to work right.
Just have to state... we are Not expecting some crazy 18+ hp gain... just as a bolt on for just the manifold...

We average 8-12hp/tq gains... Similar gains of an exhaust or intake...

So if you are on the page that a tune is needed for and intake or exhaust, we then believe you will want a tune.

If you feel intakes or exhaust shouldn't need a tune, then the intake manifold shouldn't either.

Unless... if you have intake and exhaust and no tune, all those mods WITH a intake manifold may push you over the edge where all together it adds up you now NEED a tune. Maybe this is what some are trying to state?

Also point is a tune should not be a big deal to have done if you already have full bolt ons.. why wouldn't you want to maximize your output :)

No point in speculating to much yet, let's first get one made and on a focus :)

·
FF Affiliate
30,630 Posts
I 100% agree with the wait and see how it goes and the " why wouldn't you want to maximize your output :) "

Tuning these cars are not a big deal to do and all of the MK3 ( about 3 dozen ) that have installed header all needed tuning , about 80% of the guys with just cold air intake or changed intake piping have needed a tune

Tom

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Only takes about 1 hour max to take off and put on the new manifold, so if you had to revert back, you sure could :)
I would want to datelog, send back, update and hopefully better to go.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
This will be a nice addition to someone's build. Complete ihe setup. Intake manifold, aftermarket filter, header, good catback system and tune then someone should be at 200 HP N/A!
Maybe at the crank, not 200whp...Cams and then I think that is possible

·
Registered
192 Posts
To make full use of any mods requires a tune. You could go full bolt on and then tune but in some areas your car will run lean.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
^^^ not always, there's no hard and fast rule, it differs depending on make, type of engine, etc etc... I've had some cars that ran very rich from factory and could take a lot of boltons and run well, without leaning out... a tune would have helped of course but back then there was nothing available.

·
Registered
192 Posts
^^^ not always, there's no hard and fast rule, it differs depending on make, type of engine, etc etc... I've had some cars that ran very rich from factory and could take a lot of boltons and run well, without leaning out... a tune would have helped of course but back then there was nothing available.
Not always sure. But I was referring to the current motor in the MK3 NA. People were saying the car runs lean in the higher rpms due to the increased air flow.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
... unless you live in California. :(
There's not much of anything you can do there..even an oil catch-can or modifying PCV system is considered emissions system tampering and illegal

41 - 60 of 1414 Posts