Focus Fanatics Forum banner

221 - 240 of 1414 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Some trial and error, I used a vacuum cap first. That deteriorated within 3months so right now I have a vacuum cap with an old spark plug boot cover protecting it from heat. When this fails I'm going to do what tom told me to use. A piece of fuel line with a bolt and 2 hose clamps

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Nice, when I do the ttr manifold I'm going to have to replace the intake tube anyway so I'm just going to eliminate those hoses all together and run a breather filter off the valve cover.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
I was going to do that at first. I had tried it before and the oil vapor saturated the filter and dripped all over the motor. That's why i did the can. Could just run the hoses under the car too.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #223 (Edited)
Saturated the breather? Hmm.....never had that happen before.....that must mean valvecover pulls vacuum...might have to rethink that

I would route hose down then curve it back up with breather at the top to prevent that using gravity

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Or run a hose, dip it downwards, then back up with breather installed so gravity prevents oil getting to reach it.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Can't run hose down, then back up for EITHER breather - end up with it filled with oil & blocking ventilation (until it blows out).

The usual routine for PCV source (oil separator on engine block for these) is to run it high before to anything else - even the ground - so oil vapor can condense & run back to the engine.

Saturating a filter on the cover breather prob. relates to NOT opening up the stock PCV valve, so it's restricting that outlet to make more crap come out the top.

·
Registered
2016 535D
303 Posts
Can't run hose down, then back up for EITHER breather - end up with it filled with oil & blocking ventilation (until it blows out).

The usual routine for PCV source is to run it high before to anything else - even the ground - so oil vapor can condense & run back to the engine.

Saturating a filter on the cover breather prob. relates to NOT opening up the stock PCV valve, so it's restricting that outlet to make more crap come out the top.
How would oil drain back into the PCV when its a one-way valve? I could understand if you didn't want to dump oil onto the ground though.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Even your catch can will get less oil in it, and you won't need to top up as often, if the PCV hose heads up before heading to it.

Over the top of the engine, at least by equivalent height is a typical recommendation.

Valve gets taken out of the PCV to make it an open connector when converting to an open atmosphere breather from a PCV system. No problem draining back through an open tube/connector.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Once you don't have it (PCV) connected to the intake, it's not a PCV system anymore.

You don't have the engine vacuum to work with it as a 'positive' ventilation system.

Valve works with that when it IS a positive system to control flow direction/volume. Pressure pulses open valve to intake, any time you have lower pressure in intake than crankcase it flows that way. MOST of the time it isn't reverting and heading to the intake BEFORE the throttle body.

P.S. - the old road draft tube is more 'positive' than just having breather hoses to a can BTW, hanging low it got some 'suction' from being perpendicular to air flow - often slash cut end to aid that.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #230 (Edited)
I might do this simple option:
https://www.steeda.com/focus/steeda-focus-st-oil-separator-13-15-st-555-3714/
Or...maybe TTR will supply an option for a little more money that's included.
I wouldn't waste money on that TBH....just pay a bit more for a proper catch can with filter....lots of bad feedback on those

Pcv discussion getting complicated, but good! Sailor would it be.too much work to split this into another seperate thread to keep this about the intake manifold?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Question for TTR - Will the intake manifold be emissions legal? I'm between the intake manifold and header as my next mod, but the available header options are catless. That's not good for me, since I need to pass emissions every two years. Another question - Will the intake manifold benefit a car without a header as long as there is a high flow cat-back and air intake?

·
Registered
843 Posts
We will not have it tested for emissions, it is cost prohibited as it cost $1000's to do this. Forcing the manifold price to be sky high. We have to state off road use only. It may pass emissions, we just will have no certificate of proof.

Yes you should still see gains without a header.

Option is to flip manifolds for testing, as it only takes about an hour to install, gaskets are reusable, so no extra money would be needed, to buy parts that need to be replaced for a changeover.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We will not have it tested for emissions, it is cost prohibited as it cost $1000's to do this. Forcing the manifold price to be sky high. We have to state off road use only. It may pass emissions, we just will have no certificate of proof.

Yes you should still see gains without a header.

Option is to flip manifolds for testing, as it only takes about an hour to install, gaskets are reusable, so no extra money would be needed, to buy parts that need to be replaced for a changeover.
Fair enough. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm more concerned about check engine lights. The emissions test in our area is OBD2 only. (No visual)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have header, 3inch OBX exhaust, air intake, Tom's tune. No cat whatsoever and I passed emissions last month. I can't wait to get the intake manifold. Recommend the tune by the way

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Fair enough. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm more concerned about check engine lights. The emissions test in our area is OBD2 only. (No visual)
If it is obd2 only than you should pass with a catless header. Tom can turn off the rear o2 sensor so it doesnt through a code.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
I have header, 3inch OBX exhaust, air intake, Tom's tune. No cat whatsoever and I passed emissions last month. I can't wait to get the intake manifold. Recommend the tune by the way

Sent from my XT1585 using FF Mobile
It must just be a code check, if they sniffed the pipe you would fail without cat

·
Registered
246 Posts
If it is obd2 only than you should pass with a catless header. Tom can turn off the rear o2 sensor so it doesnt through a code.
I wish it was that simple. They also do a "readiness check" on the sensors. If they are shut off you will fail. I'd have to install stock parts or find an O2 simulator if they make those still.

221 - 240 of 1414 Posts