Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1414 Posts

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great News! So I heard back from TTR Racing today, they are going ahead with production of a NA aftermarket intake manifold, to be available for release sometime in Spring! Awesome job everyone that expressed interest in this, and props to TTR for taking a chance on us, and the MK3 NA platform, now we have to support them and actually purchase this.

And regarding the retail price, this manifold will relocate the OEM Throttle Body location, this will save costs and actually drop the estimated price from $600 to $495, you will need a small elbow to attach the relocated TB to the oem or aftermarket intake system...this is not a big deal, and Im sure people would rather save the money!

Here's an idea of what it will look like:

4" long runners going into a large plenum, with throttle body located on drivers side of plenum.

One other thing...does anyone have a OEM intake manifold TTR could borrow,
manifold would be returned quickly postage paid... Sedan racer? Let me know if you don't mind lending them yours, I will pay for the shipping cost to ship it to them and they will ship it back for free...otherwise, I'l probably just pay the $75US to buy a new one and then ship it.

ANY QUESTIONS? :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Great News! So I heard back from TTR Racing today, they are going ahead with production of a NA aftermarket intake manifold, to be available for release sometime in Spring! Awesome job everyone that expressed interest in this, and props to TTR for taking a chance on us, and the MK3 NA platform, now we have to support them and actually purchase this.

And regarding the retail price, this manifold will relocate the OEM Throttle Body location, this will save costs and actually drop the estimated price from $600 to $495, you will need a small elbow to attach the relocated TB to the oem or aftermarket intake system...this is not a big deal, and Im sure people would rather save the money!

Here's an idea of what it will look like:

4" long runners going into a large plenum, with throttle body located on drivers side of plenum.

One other thing...does anyone have a OEM intake manifold TTR could borrow,
manifold would be returned quickly postage paid... Sedan racer? Let me know if you don't mind lending them yours, I will pay for the shipping cost to ship it to them and they will ship it back for free...otherwise, I'l probably just pay the $75US to buy a new one and then ship it.

ANY QUESTIONS? :)
Wow, 495$ that's cheap and again TTR delivers! Will buy if there are proven gains or even just better throttle response. Would something like this require a tune?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All intakes are designed with the TB in a certain location, so like was mentioned a custom connection will have to added because the TB is in a different spot...I will be getting the first production manifold and will figure out some options and try and find something easy to source that works.

·
Registered
843 Posts
In concept the throttle body will be slightly higher and towards the driver side a bit more than stock. Throttle body will be parallel to the "flywheel"

Should be more of a straight shot to the air box, as the intake pipe doesn't have to come "up" first...

For most with an aftermarket intake pipe already, a simple cut of the intake pipe shorter and at most a silicone coupler to retrofit...

The photo above is a Chevy cobalt intake manifold. It is a very well proven design (1,000's sold with zero failures), and with the basic overall concept of the "layout" it should be a very nice setup for the MK3 also. So the right hand side is where the throttle body will be located, just as shown.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Sounds good to me, as long as it works with what I've got I'll be a happy camper. Definitely going to be getting one.

What's the word on tuning for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
nice! this is great news!

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, 495$ that's cheap and again TTR delivers! Will buy if there are proven gains or even just better throttle response. Would something like this require a tune?

Sent from my 2PS64 using FF Mobile
I'm not holding them to anything, but they already mentioned an estimate of 10+hp gain..Sedan racer has a custom manifold he's made with a similar design and he's noticing gains in the mid to top end power range and has very good feedback on the gains, so it sounds like it will be more then just a throttle response improvement..however, his car already has breathing mods, so I would expect the biggest gains would be if you already have intake, header, exhaust, tune....on a stock engine, I don't know if there would still be gains.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
FFhb13, you'll have to do a install thread once you get it! will this delete the PCV system then too?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sounds good to me, as long as it works with what I've got I'll be a happy camper. Definitely going to be getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Most times, and even on the ST manifold, no tune is required, but you will get more gains if you custom tune for your setup; just like any other performance part.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
fine by me. I was wanting to do something anyway so that my intake ports and valves didnt get gunked up anymore.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Thats a good question, maybe Tom has some input on that...I would say Yes, because with my past experience, adding an aftermarket intake manifold has caused some cars that run RICH from the factory to lean out at wot at high rpms... focus runs LEAN from factory, very efficient, so chances of leaning out with the intake manifold, same with the header, are possible.

Anyone thats gone beyond the intake, and exhaust, and added header or intake manifold (or both) should be tuned if you want the most out of the mods and be running safe, otherwise if no tuning, I would run 91 or higher octane which may help prevent you detonating but not positive on that theory.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Most times, and even on the ST manifold, no tune is required, but you will get more gains if you custom tune for your setup; just like any other performance part.
Thank you. Do you guys forsee making a solution for the the difference of location of the throttle body? Maybe a TTR Silicone Elbow to the stock air housing?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fine by me. I was wanting to do something anyway so that my intake ports and valves didnt get gunked up anymore.
Doing away with PCV system is technically messing with emissions systems, could be an issue, but doubt it.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you. Do you guys forsee making a solution for the the difference of location of the throttle body? Maybe a TTR Silicone Elbow to the stock air housing?

Sent from my 2PS64 using FF Mobile
Too early bro... lets get it designed and built, and something will be figured out...minor detail, I promise.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Now we just need a more reliable source for a header for these cars and someone to make some affordable cams and we'll be in good shape!

·
Registered
2016 535D
303 Posts
Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that we came up with essentially the same design? Mine does have 5" runners as opposed to the 4" on this one though.

If you guys are paying for shipping, I'd be happy to lend you my intake manifold. It sure would be nice of you if you could give a flange in return lol

As for tuning, it is probably not going to run right without a tune. I would expect that this be the last thing people do after I/E/H so you'd probably have a tune anyway. Get Tom to tune your focus! He already has the jump on an IM tune and the only one available currently afaik.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i'm getting excited! now i just have to figure out how to talk my wife in to letting me spend $500 on this lol.

1 - 20 of 1414 Posts