Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a stock '03 SVT focus. This august I am going to buy a Wet ZEX nitrous kit and run a 75 shot. I have seen a couple SVTs on these forums running nitrous and pulling off high 13's. My question is what did you do to your engines to pull off those times???
I am really not intrested in forced induction setups though, just the happy gas!

I have several off my own ideas floating around in my head, but I would really like to learn what other people have in there cars to make them that quick.
Also are these people running street tires or slicks? Are these cars gutted? If anyone has a timeslip with a high 13sec n20 setup I would really like to see all the numbers!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
CAI, Hi-flow cat, 75 shot,bottle heater, MSD rpm window switch, Crane ignition with 'on demand' timing retard, drag radials on lightweight rims, UDP's, short shifter, VF rear mount.

I still run full interior, but I fold down the rear seats, and roll the front ones as far forward as comfortably possible. I also put those rubber spring inserts in the rear coils to stiffen the rear suspension.

best slip is in my sig (click on the time listed) I have several others in the 13.7-13.9 range as well

Almost forgot, the stock clutch and flywheel held up for a while, but I'm right now shopping for an update (starting to slip when I really get on it)

Hopefully my times will get a bit better with a stronger clutch/ lighter flywheel [8D]

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
oh, MAN.....this would be EXACTLY what I would like to do if getting a PROcharger doesn't work out.....frakin high 13's in a Focus....yup, that'll do just fine [;)]

good info people [thumb]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your one of those SVTs I was talking about! That is an awesome setup you have!
I was wondering about your 'on demand' timing setup...do you just have a regular tune with advanced timing or a nitrous tune? Im guessing you have a regular tune and you use the 'on demand' timing retard when running nitrous?
What is your launch technique with your nitrous? What rpms do you launch at? Do you slip or drop the clutch?
13s in a focus, that is amazing!

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
If I KNEW it would be safe I would go that route.....that would be GREAT to juice my SVT.......I just wouldn't want to hurt it......

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
chad_p71 said:
Your one of those SVTs I was talking about! That is an awesome setup you have!
I was wondering about your 'on demand' timing setup...do you just have a regular tune with advanced timing or a nitrous tune? Im guessing you have a regular tune and you use the 'on demand' timing retard when running nitrous?
What is your launch technique with your nitrous? What rpms do you launch at? Do you slip or drop the clutch?
13s in a focus, that is amazing!
I'm running an xcal2 with a N/A 'street tune'(Hypnotic) The Crane unit pulls out the amount of timing I feel nessecary only when the nitrous solenoid fires. (I currently pull 12 degrees, 10 to offset the agressive tune, 2 for the nirtous) The benefit is I have full power off the line, (instead of a boggy 'nitrous tune' where until the spray hits, you are losing power).

The happy side effect is, I never have to reflash the car. My 'street' tune says in all the time, and anytime I want to hit the nitrous, the timing retard is right there waiting. (So if I were to 'accidently' trigger my bottle opener, and 'accidently' hit the master arm, then 'accidently' have my foot to the floor on the street, the spray is going just fine, with all protection in place.)

I launch on drag radials at 4500 rpm, but keep the gas pedal just barely off the floor (holding off the nitrous) until I feel the clutch grab completely, and the tires hook (hard to describe in words, but its a matter of milliseconds between launch, full clutch and tire grab. Once I feel it, the foot goes to the floor, nitrous fires, and away I go) I don't drop the clutch, but I do release fairly quickly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a very simple setup with my nitrous. I just have a bottle warmer, and wot switch. I would like to rune something like Scott SVT. IMO I think that is the safest setup you could possibly run without running it at all. My system is all controlled by a 75 shot tune by Wayne at Hypillauto. Unfortuneatly I have to reflash my car everytime I want to run the Juice. hopefully you get some helpful info on nitrous and you can make a wish choice for your setup. Also remember nitrous itself cannot hurt your engine. Its how you use it.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
wow scott svt i want your set up. thats sounds like it wasnt that hard to install and its ton safer then the other way.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It took a little bit of figuring out, since there wasn't a ready system, I had to kinda discover what's out there and put the puzzle together.

Wiring becomes a little bit of a challenge, if you have never created multiple circuits utilizing relays, switches and modules (keeping the load circuits free while using relays on the switched side of each circuit) and ground switching whenever possible. I found it fun, but it's just an extension of things I deal with on a regular basis, (repairing, not creating)

I'm very happy with the results, though. I never feel like I'm pushing the limits of anything, electrically or internally in the motor. I think I could probably push this system up to a 125 shot if I wanted to (higher than that would need a re-work of the nitrous plumbing) I'd just run 105-110 octane fuel with a bigger shot.

I've bore-scoped my pistons, they aren't showing any signs of damage, my plugs always look great when I pull them and check. I've not had any evidence of puddling in the intake, I think those that have had that issue have invertently hit the spray below 3k. My 'system' makes it impossible to ever do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts